SOLVED

External User features are not available

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone

I added a guest account to my chats but now I am wondering why the call and video buttons in teams are greyed out. I can't call the person just writing works. From my research, I found out that normally the teams admin center is responsible for access settings considering guests. I checked them and found nothing what could block those features.

Has anyone experience with this problem?

Regards
Yannick

3 Replies
best response confirmed by YannickOtt (Copper Contributor)
Solution
You don't have to add a personal account as a guest user to able to chat with those as long as you allow that from the Teams admin center under Users - External access. Today it isn't possible to start a video call between an org. account and a personal Teams account, but that will hopefully change soon. The guest user can start a video call with you if that person is signed in to your tenant though.

@YannickOtt   - guests have limited functionality, as noted in this doc: Guest experience in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn

@YannickOtt We need to be clear on 'guest' and 'external' user. A guest is someone you have added to a MSFT Team with a view to collaborate on content within that Team to some degree. An external user is someone who you communicate with outside your org either via chat, voice, or video regardless of team membership.

Is there scenario that you searched for an external user by their email address, and can now chat to them (nothing to do with Teams & Channels), but you are not able to call or video with that same user?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by YannickOtt (Copper Contributor)
Solution
You don't have to add a personal account as a guest user to able to chat with those as long as you allow that from the Teams admin center under Users - External access. Today it isn't possible to start a video call between an org. account and a personal Teams account, but that will hopefully change soon. The guest user can start a video call with you if that person is signed in to your tenant though.

View solution in original post