Emergency calling policy notifications with 933 for MS Calling Plan user.

Copper Contributor

If a MS Calling Plan user dials 933 to test E911 call flow, does it trigger a notification as per configs in emergency calling policy assigned to the location/user?

I have configured the Network sites with subnets, Trusted IPs, subnets in Networks & Subnets, Emergency calling policy to send a notification to the M365 group for service desk. I have also entered 911 and 933 to a emergency call routing policy and assigned it t to the Network site for the calling plan user, however it still doesn`t trigger a notification to the service desk M365 group users.

Any ideas, if it is supposed to trigger the notification or am I missing any configurations?

6 Replies
933 will trigger the notification. During my testing I put myself as the only person in the Notification group for the site. When someone else called 933, I was notified. I did not get the notification if I called 933 myself.
thanks for your reply. Just to be sure, when you checked, were you testing with Microsoft Calling Plan or with Direct Routing? I have seen notifications working with Direct Routing when you put 933 (if your carrier/hosted SBC provider/ERS provider offers 933 service) in Emergency call routing policy as emergency number. However, currently I am struggling to get it to work with MS Calling plan users.

I have configured the Network sites with subnets, Trusted IPs, subnets in Networks & Subnets, Emergency calling policy to send a notification to the M365 group for service desk. I have also entered 911 and 933 to a emergency call routing policy and assigned it t to the Network site for the calling plan user, however it still doesn`t trigger a notification to the service desk M365 group users

Any ideas, if I am missing any configurations.
Indeed. It is Direct Routing. I have not tested it in Microsoft Calling Plan scenario.

It sounds like you've covered all of the areas I would have looked. Starting at the beginning my failures started at Trusted IP. Once that was verified correct the client would then pick up the emergency location using a BSSID or subnet in the "Networks and Location" (LIS) section. Once I verified the client had an emergency location, I checked that the Emergency Calling Policy and Emergency Call routing policies were assigned to the client (from the Network sites section). I was able to verify from my test users that they did in fact receive the Calling and Call routing policies through the downloaded logs (ctrl, alt, shift, 1) and looked in "MSTeams Diagnostics Log 5_26_2021__9_55_49_AM_calling.txt" file. In this file I could see the assigned policies and emergency numbers available to the user. From there, if the (911/933) call initiated to PSTN the notification just worked. Unless I called myself which I assume is intended (i.e. Don't notify the person calling 911/933).

@Ash11111 checking to see if you ever figured this out for MS Calling Plans. I'm experiencing the same thing.  MS Calling Plan, Emergency Calling Policy configured, no notification firing with dialing 933. 

For me, it started working after a couple of days of involving MS support. As a suggestion, always better to use a distribution group in the Emergency calling policy.

@Ash11111 

Hi there folks,

I am having the same issue right around the time new Teams came out.  I opened a case with MS Support and came to the conclusion that when User A dials 933 and is also in the notification field in Emergency Policy the notifications fail.  We thought we fixed it by using a DL but that is not the case.  If User A is in a notification group in any way, and test calls to 933, the notification fails to all members. I've opened another MS Ticket to see what they say now.  They didn't have documentation last time I asked, only a pop up that appears when adding Emergency Policy for the first time that states if you are selecting Notification Only to use a distribution list.  Now the DL doesn't work either if the user calling is in the group.  

Did you ever get any feedback from Microsoft when you were having this issue?  Any help is much appreciated!