Can't use Open Downloads Folder button or download files when redirecting Downloads folder

Copper Contributor

We have been in the process of rolling out Windows 10 (1903) VDI machines using Citrix and FSLogix for profile containment (only FSLogix). Most of the users' profile folders (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc) are redirected to a file server. Teams works great except for one function, when a user clicks "Open Downloads Folder" within Files-->Downloads it does nothing and when hitting the Download option on a file you get the "Downloading.." popup but nothing ever appears in the user's Download folder. Looking at the Downloads section under Files-->Downloads it shows the file as perpetually "Downloading".

I used ProcMon to identify Teams looking at the registry under: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell. The redirected Downloads folder is identified there as being located on the file server share (\\FILESERVER\Redirected$\user\Downloads). If I change it to the default location of %USERPROFILE%\Downloads and create a Downloads folder in the root of the user profile, restart explorer.exe and Teams, it works.

I have scoured the internet and haven't found anyone else with this issue. Anyone else doing folder redirection for Downloads? Is folder redirection not supported in Teams?

4 Replies
UPDATE:
Apparently, just creating the Downloads folder in the profile allows downloading to work, the Open Downloads Folder button continues to do nothing. Files download to the correct redirected folder location. So for some reason Teams needs to see the Downloads folder in the root of the profile even if it isn't used?

Hi @toewsbtov 

I am basically at the same point, but i dont see in my promon logs how its trying to identify the downloads directory.

we are using FSLogix with XenApp 7.15 on server 2016.

downloads work for me, but the button doesn't work for users.

have you found any solution?

Thanks

@LorentzForceNo, not yet. Gave up on it honestly, getting files to download was most important thing.

@toewsbtov 

For me the following workaround worked:
Use case:
- Our Downloads folder are redirected to a different location
- The users are not allowed to browse on the C: drive

Workaround:
- I just created an empty folder by policy, called Downloads, inside C:\users\%username%\

After that, Teams was able to download the redirected folder