Can't Save or download Photo from Teams to iPhone Photos

Copper Contributor

If I open the share options in Teams for a jpg photo, it does not show an option to "Save" the photo. I need to save it to my iOS Photos, but cannot. 

Any help greatly appreciated! I am on an iPhone 11 Pro Max, running the latest iOS 13 software and the most up to date Teams app.

IMG_0583.jpg

13 Replies
Hi Steven,

in general this available. I tested this in my lab environment. I have the save to photo option there.
My assumption would be that your teams app is managed and there is policy (e.g. Intune) that does not allow you saving content to your phone.
What happens if you chose „save to files“? Is it a empty file in you files app? If so another indication that a policy is not allowing this.

Regards,

Paul

@Paul Lange 

Hi Paul

One of my colleagues is having the same issue - as global admin I have checked permissions and there's nothing apparent that would be restricting access.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Many thanks,

Helen

I am having the same issue with my teams app on my iPhone, there is no way to download it seems to my phone.  You can’t click on the image without more options and when you save it doesn’t download to your phone but adds some type of bookmark to the photo which I am not sure what that means.

@Chris111ProjectSame thing here - the bookmark thingy means that it appears under ...More-Saved, which appears to be one of the most useless features there is.

The trick to saving images is to get the hidden toolbar to show up while watching the image in full screen. Long tap doesn't work. Single tap on the image doesn't work [edit: now when I'm trying again it suddenly does]. It's not there by default as in every app made by a company that cares about user interface. Turns out that one has to tap at a spot OUTSIDE the image, i.e. in any black area next to the image. Then a toolbar comes up at the top, in which there is a sharing icon at the top right. This leads to the familiar IOS sharing interface. Save Image is one of the options, and for me it works.

Couldn't find help on internet about this...

@Steven Miori I get around this by opening the photo in Teams and then taking a screen shot of it on my phone 

@Sjoerd321 does teams have access to your photo library? When I did that, the save photo option appeared for me.

@Wonder555 It only has limited access, so maybe that affects. Thanks for reminding!

@Steven Miori My solution is to tap the recipient's name / chat name at the top of the screen then tapping "See all" under "Files" and then actually opening the image.
The classic "Share" button shows up at the bottom of the screen with the option to choose "Save Image", which will save it to your photo gallery.

Hope that helps!

@Miko__That works, thank you!

Sometimes, photos saved from apps like Teams could end up in the hidden photos folder on your iPhone. To check this, open the Photos app, go to the "Albums" tab, and scroll down to find the "Hidden" album. Your missing image might be there.
For more detailed steps on accessing hidden photos on your iPhone, this guide on how to get to your hidden photos could be really helpful. It outlines the steps to locate and manage hidden photos, which could potentially solve your issue. If you're still unable to find your photo, it might be worth exploring alternative methods to transfer images from Teams to your iPhone.

@Wonder555 Would you mind liking my reply so others see it as a solution? I can already see irrelevant, generic troubleshooting advice building up below my comment.

sure thing, thanks for the help!