Admin who created Team sees Teams even though they are not a member

Copper Contributor

We are running into an issue where an admin creates a Team from the Admin Portal and those Teams show up on that admin's desktop and web applications even though a different Owner is assigned upon Team creation and the admin is not one of the members of the Team.

When the admin clicks on the Team, it does not load and it disappears from the list, but when creating dozens of Teams a day this is not a viable workaround.  We have attempted deleting/changing the name of the cache folder as described here https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams/failed-to-leave-the-team/m-p/179164 and weren't really surprised that it didn't work because of the fact that the same issue occurs on the Teams web app.

Has anyone seen this before and come up with a solution?

4 Replies
Wow, that's absolutely not expected. I will recommend to open a support ticket for this issue. I will also report it to Microsoft

@cmac2 While yes this sounds like a bug, but it does sound like your admin has one account which isnt good practice. I would always have a normal account to actually use, then a secondary account for admin purposes only. There's too much risk in using your own daily account as an admin.

@cmac2 

I am an M365 Admin as well and have the exact same issue.  Did you ever get a resolution?

@cgiddens, no resolution but I did not open a support ticket for the issue and took Steven's advice and set up a separate admin accounts for the Teams creation.