Where and how are the Outlook Message Encryption templates managed?

Iron Contributor

We have Microsoft 365 Business Premium licenses.

Within Outlook, when you create a new email and go to the Options tab, there is an Encrypt button with the following options; Encrypt-Only, Do Not Forward, Confidential - All Employees, and Highly Confidential - All Employees. I want to see if I can create some specific ones for certain use cases but I'll be damned if I can find where these are set. I would also like to find out the specific restrictions each of these puts in place.

I can distinctly remember messing around with message encryption templates a year (or more) ago but fast forward to today and everything seems to be retired or replaced or moved and I can't for the life of me locate where these email encryption templates are located. The MS docs are all over the place and searching for things in the Azure portal pull up nothing (or old docs that aren't current anymore).

I know labels are now a big thing and maybe I missed migrating these encryption templates to labels?

(in my searches I've seen ARM then Azure Information Protection which seems to be replaced by Rights Management Service and then talk about labels...)

2 Replies
I have seen that page many times now and the part that is causing me concern is the big banner at the start that says "If you're not an E5 customer, use the 90-day Microsoft Purview solutions trial to explore how additional Purview capabilities can help your organization manage data security and compliance needs.". We are NOT an E5 customer so I am very wary of performing any steps in the article that involve enabling things - I don't want to receive a surprise bill because I turned something on I shouldn't have.

I did a few of the tests inside the Setup Message Encryption page (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/purview/set-up-new-message-encryption-capabilities) and some pass but some fail.

We are also not interested in advanced features and mail rules that automatically apply encryption, I just want to edit the existing templates that are being presented to users.