SOLVED

Removing E3 License

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am have a user in O365 or Microsoft365 (cause they seemed to have changed the name) and user has both E3 and E5 license assigned to the user account. User also has Project Plan 3 and Visio Plan 2. I am trying to remove the E3 license to save some cost but admin center gives an error message:

"To assign a license that contains Information Barriers, you must also assign one of the following service plans: SharePoint (Plan 2), SharePoint (Plan 1), Microsoft Teams, Exchange Online (Plan 2), Exchange Online (Plan 1).To assign a license that contains Office 365 Privileged Access Management, you must also assign one of the following service plans: SharePoint Kiosk, SharePoint (Plan 2), SharePoint (Plan 1), Exchange Online (Plan 2), Exchange Online (Plan 1), Exchange Foundation.To assign a license that contains Office 365 Advanced Threat Protection (Plan 2), you must also assign one of the following service plans: Exchange Online (Plan 2), Exchange Online (Plan 1).To assign a license that contains Customer Lockbox, you must also assign one of the following service plans: SharePoint Kiosk, SharePoint (Plan 2), SharePoint (Plan 1), Exchange Foundation, Exchange Online (Plan 2), Exchange Online (Plan 1).To assign a license that contains Microsoft MyAnalytics (Full), you must also assign one of the following service plans: Exchange Online (Plan 1), Exchange Online (Plan 2).To assign a license that contains Microsoft 365 Phone System, you must also assign one of the following service plans: Microsoft Teams, Skype for Business Online (Plan 2).To assign a license that contains Microsoft 365 Audio Conferencing, you must also assign one of the following service plans: Microsoft Teams, Skype for Business Online (Plan 2).To assign a license that contains Project Online Service, you must also assign one of the following service plans: SharePoint (Plan 2)."

Shouldn't the E5 license include all the same services as E3 + some extra? So removing the E3 without adding those services/plans what the error message suggests shouldn't be necessary or am I wrong?

3 Replies
best response confirmed by JMacc (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JMacc  Hey Macc, there is a quick fix around to this I have face the same many times since the users got both the licenses sometimes it is giving confusing error, so the easy fix will be removing all the licenses save and then reassign only those licenses which are required.

Please provide your feedback on how it goes....

Hi,@PDostiyar 

Thanks for your help. It worked like a charm. I thought I already tried that but I noticed that I left Microsoft Business center license still there and got the error. Now when I removed all and then assigned all without E3 it worked!

@JMacc  wowo this is great... i am happy i was able to provide a solution that is why we are all member of this great Microsoft Tech Community....

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JMacc (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JMacc  Hey Macc, there is a quick fix around to this I have face the same many times since the users got both the licenses sometimes it is giving confusing error, so the easy fix will be removing all the licenses save and then reassign only those licenses which are required.

Please provide your feedback on how it goes....

View solution in original post