SOLVED

Outlook email account Disconnected

Copper Contributor

About two days ago, one of my email accounts in Outlook stopped working. It's now saying "disconnected" in the lower info section. I can get the email on my phone and the web, but not in Outlook anymore. I've tried toggling the "Work offline" button but it still doesn't come on. When I toggle it, it will say "trying to connect." But it never does. 

It's trying to connect to Microsoft Exchange. I have another account that is the main email I use. I tried to delete the one that's not working, but it said that I would have to delete the main email account. I don't want to do that. 

Any thoughts?

25 Replies

Hi @CrazyKZ,

Let me suggest to create a new Outlook profile and test again. Please, don't do it from the Outlook client. Instead, follow this instructions: Two accounts in outlook, one keeps disconnecting - Microsoft Community

Hope this helps. Wish you a good day.

@FcoManigrasso 

Thank you for your response.

In Windows 10 my mail section doesn't look like the link you suggested. It looks like the below.

CrazyKZ_0-1687363548376.png

Under the first list, it gives me a list of accounts used by other apps and lists each of my emails. if I click on one of them, it goes to "manage." And that just logs me into that email account. 

Hi @CrazyKZ,

You need to create it from the Control Panel.

Please follow this instructions:

• Close Outlook.
  • Select the Windows icon, type Control Panel in the search box and select it.
  • In Control Panel, search Mail, and select it. The Mail icon won't appear unless you have Outlook installed and have run the program at least once.
  • The Mail Setup dialog box opens.

FcoManigrasso_0-1687365006629.png

• Click Show Profiles.
  • Click Add.
  • Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.

FcoManigrasso_3-1687365117337.png
  • Add an e-mail account to use in your profile by following the directions on your screen.
  • Once created, click again on "Show profiles"
  • FcoManigrasso_5-1687365358368.png

Under When starting Microsoft Office Outlook, use this profile, click Always use this profile, and then click the profile that you just created in the list.

• Restart Outlook. Note that the first loading of a new profile alway takes a bit longer. That's absolutely normal, don't worry.

More info: Overview of Outlook e-mail profiles - Microsoft Support

@FcoManigrasso 

When I go to the Control Panel in Windows, it looks totally different than all other mentions of how to change the profile. When I click on Manage the email from the control panel, it makes me login to that account then brings me here: https://myaccount.microsoft.com/ I don't see anything about email profiles. :(

Hi @CrazyKZ,

Here you have a video with all the steps, from min. 1.53: How to create a new Outlook Profile | When and why create a new one - YouTube

Hope this helps.

Wish you a good evening.

@FcoManigrasso 

I actually saw that video. My Windows control panel doesn't look like that.

Here is his control panel.

CrazyKZ_0-1687385979101.png

Here is what my Control Panel looks like:

CrazyKZ_1-1687386009785.png

When I type in Mail from the search section of the Control Panel, below is what shows up:

CrazyKZ_2-1687386075919.png

@FcoManigrasso 

Actually I see within Outlook itself is where to get to the profiles.

CrazyKZ_0-1687386626744.png

I'm trying to setup a new profile, but I'm having trouble connecting to that email though.

@FcoManigrasso 

And I saw while researching the help section of Outlook, that it said "Note: While a profile can include multiple internet-type accounts, it can include only one Exchange account."

The email accounts I have are both part of the same domain name and are somehow apparently linked since I can't even delete the one that's not working without removing the main email account. 

@FcoManigrasso 

I did create a separate profile and that one email did work. :)

So, if I want to keep using the new (fixed) profile I'll need to set up all of my other email accounts (3 others) and also import contacts and calendar. Are there any helpful links of how to do that too?

Hi @CrazyKZ,

Happy to see that finally it worked :) A new profile is usually the best solution for such scenarios.

Regarding your last questions, your exchange account already syncs your contacts and calendar events. If you have full access rights over another mailbox, that is probably automaped and will appear automatically. If it's not the case, you can simply add more accounts as described here: Add an email account to Outlook - Microsoft Support

Have a good day.

Is this a known issue this week as I have 4 users to whom this has happened today (21 June). They are all using Outlook Version 2305 Click-to-run on Windows 10, subscribed via M365 Apps for enterprise 

Hi @DavidOakesCF,

Not as far as I know, but let me suggest to check your O365 health center. If there's some ongoing issue, ( known by Microsoft ), affecting Outlook accounts in your tenant you should find there some notifications.

How to check Microsoft 365 service health - Microsoft 365 Enterprise | Microsoft Learn

Hi @FcoManigrasso
As you suspected, nothing reported on 365 service health. For these users, Outlook on there mobile has worked fine, it's just the desktop app that has become "disconnected".
We've yet to find a common link between the devices

@FcoManigrasso 

Apparently the contracts are separate in Outlook and not tied to one email account.

How do I import my contacts and calendar into my new profile?

@FcoManigrasso 

I need to get my address book and calendar back, but now I can't even open up the previous profile except for about 15 seconds, then it closes Outlook. :(  What can I do? I'm at a loss.

Are the Outlook profiles saved somewhere that I can pull a back up or something?

best response confirmed by CrazyKZ (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @CrazyKZ,

Don't worry, all is there.

The best way is again from the Control Panel, ( the screenshot that you previously shared with me is not from your control panel, is from your settings panel ). 

Following the instructions from the video shared by me in previous post you should be able to find the different profiles, choose the prefered one, ecc...

If you still face issues feel free to send me a private message and I'll try to assist you remotely.

@FcoManigrasso 

Thanks for the clarification on the Control Panel. I wasn't aware of the differences. :)

I had to redirect the actual pst file and open it vs. the email account pst file.

From there I was able to export a backup pst file and import it into the now working profile. Phew!

The only issue I'm having now is the address book. How do I change the default address book to use when opening a new email? I can pull it up and use it, but each time I have to choose where it is. 

Hi @CrazyKZ,

Great that you were able to setup your accounts correctly! Happy to help :) 

Regarding the address book, it depends of the account that you're using. Outlook will take the address book from the account in use at that moment. 

On the left side of your client, you should see your mail accounts and mail folders, ( depending of your view configurations ). If you go to the inbox, ( or any other folder ), of account "A", your sender address and address book will be the one from account "A". But if you´re placed on account "B", both sender address and address book will be from account "B".  

@FcoManigrasso 

I am so relived that I got the accounts going again! Thanks for your help!

Well, I wish that that was true about the contacts, but that doesn't happen. When I click on a new email starting from any one of the emails, it tries to pull from a list from one of the email addresses, but that list doesn't have any contacts at all. I have to click on the list to choose the "contacts" list. Perhaps the contacts aren't stored in the correct place in Outlook. 

When I click on the My Contacts from the left-hand menu, it shows 3 different choices. I can move them all from one to the other, but it still isn't going to the place that is automatically pulled up from starting an email.

Can you help me with this?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by CrazyKZ (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @CrazyKZ,

Don't worry, all is there.

The best way is again from the Control Panel, ( the screenshot that you previously shared with me is not from your control panel, is from your settings panel ). 

Following the instructions from the video shared by me in previous post you should be able to find the different profiles, choose the prefered one, ecc...

If you still face issues feel free to send me a private message and I'll try to assist you remotely.

View solution in original post