SOLVED

Conditional formatting? highlight a cell based on current time

Copper Contributor

Working on an hourly To-Do list.

I have a column (H) with the listed hour (on the Hr) starting with 5am all the way until 11pm.

For Example: 

6:00 AM 

7:00 AM

8:00 AM

9:00 AM

The ask: I would like the 7:00 AM cell be highlighted when the current time is between 7-7:59 AM.  Then the next cell once it hits between 8 and 8:59 and so on.

Thank you and let me know what you think?

13 Replies
best response confirmed by andermanrn (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@andermanrn 

Let's say the times are in H2:H20.

Select this range. H2 should be the active cell in the selection.

On the Home tab of the ribbon, select Conditional Formatting > New Rule...

Select 'Use a formula to detemine which cells to format'.

Enter the formula

=HOUR(H2)=HOUR(NOW())

(Remember, H2 is the active cell in the selection).

Click Format...

Activate the Fill tab.

Select a highlight color.

Click OK, then click OK again.

What if I wanted to highlight the whole row instead of just the cell with the time in it? Highlight all of row 2 in this case?

@andermanrn 

Select rows 2 to 20 (or however far down you want).

Follow the steps from my previous reply, but use the formula

=HOUR($H2)=HOUR(NOW())

The $ before the column letter H ensures that the rule "looks at" column H in all cells of a row.

@Hans Vogelaar 

I hope you still see these messages, I'm trying to do this as well, it's been 3 days of struggling and nothing is working. I have made my planner in spreadsheets first, and it works there.

Basically, I have 4 columns, E:H, column E has the hours 10:00, 11:00,... and column H has the half hours 10:30, 11:30. And I want to use columns F and G to schedule my day. I want the cell of the current time to be highlighted.

For example, row 6 holds the hours 10:00 and 10:30. If the time is 10:14, I want cell F6 to be highlighted by checking E6 and H6, if the time is 10:34, I want cell G6 to be highlighted by checking H6 and E7 (11:00). As I've said before, i have managed to do this in spreadsheets with the following formula: =($E6 < timevalue(now())) * (timevalue(now()) < $H6)  This formula, however, won't work, and many others that I've read on the internet and in communities either, but I feel like it has to be possible since it works in spreadsheets, can you help me?

@myrte 

Assuming that the times begin in row 2, use

=AND(MOD(NOW(),1)>=E2,MOD(NOW(),1)<H2)

for column F, and

=AND(MOD(NOW(),1)>=H2,MOD(NOW(),1)<E3)

for column G.

See the attached sample workbook. Note that I added midnight the next day at the bottom of column E.

Ik neem aan dat je Nederlands spreekt? Excel moet ik helaas gebruiken in het Nederlands, de formule vertaald is dan =EN(REST(NU(),1)>=H2,REST(NU(),1)<E3) , correct? Ik heb deze namelijk geprobeerd en het werkte niet. Alvast bedankt voor de hulp hoor!

@myrte 

Heb je de werkmap geprobeerd die ik bijgevoegd had? Zo ja, deed die wat je wilde?

Die werkt inderdaad, ik heb mijn Excel in het Engels gezet en nu doet de formule het wel, dankjewel!

@myrte 

Als je Excel daarna terugzet naar het Nederlands, zou het nog steeds moeten werken - Excel vertaalt de formule automatisch.

Just want to enhance the answer, if you have list of half-an hour column like:

6:00 AM
6:30 AM
7:00 AM
7:30 AM

you can use this formula: =AND(HOUR(H2)=HOUR(NOW()),MINUTE(H2)=(IF(MINUTE(NOW())<30,0,30))).

It's the same formula provided by Hans with addition checking minute of the listed hour column, whether 0 or 30.

@Najmi6240, thank you this was very helpful, just want to share with others that if you are working with 15-minute increments you can simply change the 30 in this formula to 15.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by andermanrn (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@andermanrn 

Let's say the times are in H2:H20.

Select this range. H2 should be the active cell in the selection.

On the Home tab of the ribbon, select Conditional Formatting > New Rule...

Select 'Use a formula to detemine which cells to format'.

Enter the formula

=HOUR(H2)=HOUR(NOW())

(Remember, H2 is the active cell in the selection).

Click Format...

Activate the Fill tab.

Select a highlight color.

Click OK, then click OK again.

View solution in original post