Dev channel update to 86.0.587.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 86.0.587.0 to the Dev channel.  This is the first release for version 86, and there’s a lot to talk about in it!  But first, there’s a lot to talk about outside of it too: 

Now, for all the product changes: 

Added features: 

• Re-enabled support for searching in the sidebar in PDFs now that the functionality has been fixed. 
  • Added the ability to use a custom image as the new tab page background. 
  • Added the ability to add items to Collections from InPrivate windows. 
  • Added a toggle to the InPrivate new tab page to always use Strict Tracking Prevention in InPrivate. 
  • Added support for Read Aloud on PDFs on ARM devices. 
  • Added dark theme to the Pinning Wizard. 
  • Added a button to delete certain address bar suggestions. 
  • Added the ability to re-order extension buttons that are in the … menu via the keyboard. 
  • Added a management policy for Enterprise Mode Site List Manager Allowed, which controls whether or not users can access the Enterprise Mode Site List themselves.  Note that administrative templates will be updated later for all new policies. 
  • Added a management policy for New Tab Page Allowed Background Types to configure which types of images are allowed on new tabs. 
  • Added a management policy to Force Sync. 
  • Enabled support for the Chromium User Agent Client Hints Enabled management policy. 
  • Enabled support for the Chromium Default Search Provider Context Menu Access Allowed management policy. 
  • Re-enabled support for the Chromium management policy to Enable SHA-1 For Local Anchors. 
  • Finished rolling out Picture Dictionary to all Canary and Dev users. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where certain key combinations like ctrl+f or ctrl+- crash the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash on launch on Mac. 
  • Fixed an issue where new tabs sometimes crash as soon as they’re opened or try to navigate.
  • Fixed an issue where session restore doesn’t work, causing Edge to fail to restore tabs when recovering from a crash, using continuous browsing, restarting to apply an update, etc.   
  • Fixed an issue where clicking Site Information button sometimes crashes the tab. 
  • Fixed an issue where adding text to a Collection via the right-click menu crashes the tab. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where using the touchbar when certain sites like Netflix are playing video crashes the tab. 
  • Fixed a crash when playing videos. 
  • Fixed an issue where signing into the browser sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain media formats like FLAC or WEBM don’t work, causing audio and video on certain sites like Coursera to fail. 
  • Fixed an issue where entering drawing mode on a PDF causes Read Aloud not to work on other tabs. 
  • Fixed a hang on shutdown on ARM. 
  • Fixed an issue where navigating from an IE mode site to a non-IE mode site sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where exporting IE mode diagnostic info from edge://compat sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to save an edited PDF that was opened read-only fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where clearing browsing data fails on Mac. 
  • Fixed an issue where sharing web content such as embedded Youtube videos sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Heavy Ad Intervention feature from Chromium (if enabled via a flag) doesn’t work. 
  • Improved the reliability of sync for work and school accounts. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue when cookies are added to the website permissions settings page’s Allow list and the option to delete cookies when the browser is closed is enabled.  Now, cookies added to the allow list aren’t removed, and cookies expected to be removed are. 
  • Fixed an issue where options to change the browser’s theme and zoom are missing from Settings. 
  • Fixed an issue where the website’s protocol (http://, https://, etc.) is hidden in the address bar and only appears when interacting with it.  Note that this behavior can be restored via a flag if desired. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain management policies like those for SmartScreen weren’t being applies to devices being managed through Intune or another MDM solution.  Note that domain joined devices weren’t affected. 
  • Fixed an issue where hovering over UI such as the Favorites Bar shows corruption in the text. 
  • Fixed an issue where the favicon of favorites on the Favorites Bar sometimes disappears. 
  • Fixed an issue where switching tabs via the fullscreen Shy UI prevents using the touchscreen on Shy UI until fullscreen is exited. 
  • Fixed an issue where sites sometimes don’t appear in the Back/Forward list. 
  • Fixed an issue where extensions sometimes don’t appear on the Extensions management page. 
  • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud sometimes reads too slow. 
  • Fixed an issue where clearing browsing data sometimes opens a new window. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to use a pen or stylus to interact with webpages fails when the interaction is over an iframe, which commonly host videos and ads. 
  • Fixed an issue where old versions of Edge sometimes aren’t deleted after Edge is updated. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the … menu sometimes doesn’t work when used from Shy UI. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the browser sometimes reports the wrong or an unknown channel. 
  • Fixed an issue where duplicate tooltips sometimes appear when hovering over UI. 
  • Fixed an issue where the new tab page for Guest mode windows is in light theme even when the browser is in dark theme. 
  • Fixed an issue where the popup that offers translation sometimes appears on the new tab page. 
  • Fixed an issue where some parts of the Surf game aren’t localized properly. 
  • Fixed an issue where dragging an address from the address bar into a Collection doesn’t add the website to the Collection. 
  • Improved how products are added to a Collection from certain shopping websites like Ebay. 
  • Improved messaging on the Downloads shelf when deleting a downloaded file fails. 
  • Improved Autofill to reduce the number of websites where passwords are suggested on non-password fields like payment card CVVs. 
  • Improved scrolling behavior when using Line Focus in Immersive Reader. 
  • Removed the ability to pin a site to the Taskbar from within an Application Guard window since the functionality is broken. 

Known issues: 

• Users with certain hardware are seeing changes in scrolling behavior that are unintended.  For example, pages scroll much faster than they used to.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Attempting to watch video in fullscreen will sometimes not work properly.  Instead of showing the video fullscreen, it will blow up or zoom the video to the size of the browser window.  A fix was recently identified and should be in next week’s Dev build. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window.  For users with discrete GPUs, updating graphics drivers may help. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

As always, all of this is only possible thanks to your feedback and suggestions! 

45 Replies

@josh_bodner  Huge thumbs up on force sync.  Will that be updated in the admx / brower policy doc?  Any chance that will be backported to older versions, or will support only begin with this build.

@josh_bodner 

I've been following the Dev channel of Edge since it first became available for Windows. When version 84 came to Dev, DPI issues arose, and have since shipped to stable. I've used twitter back in May (bad source for reports sorry), the feedback tool built into the browser a week or 2 ago, and now I implore you here on Tech Community. Every version of Edge since 84 up to at least this version of 86 have broken mixed DPI issues. The attached video explains it visually (no audio).

Monitor setup: 2x 1920x1200 at 100% scaling, one of which is my main display, and 1x 4k laptop monitor at 250% scaling.

The first half of the attached video is when Edge is on my leftmost, main 1920x1200 display, and shows right clicking tabs to use the context menu for duplicating, or re-opening closed tabs renders fine, but clicking on the ... menu spawns the menu on the laptop screen, clipping out of the viewport. This problem gets worse as you attempt to navigate sub menus in the ... menu. Any website with a native <select> element will do the same thing (so it's not just shell elements), making those websites very hard to use.

The second half of the attached video is when Edge is on my secondary 1920x1200 display, and shows that the ... menu renders correctly, but right clicking tabs to use the context menu for duplicating, or re-opening closed tabs spawns on the laptop screen, clipping out of the viewport.

Using Windows 10's application compatibility settings to override application scaling to use System (enhanced) will making both the 1920x1200 monitors work fine in all cases, only the browser becomes blurry on the laptop screen. This has been my workaround for now, but I'd love to see Edge resume normal DPI functionality. Maybe I'm in the minority of people experiencing this.

Any word on this DPI issue?

A lot of fixes in this one ! I wished the "clear cookies on exit" bug fixed on this build was the one I reported back in May, but it seems not :(  .

@josh_bodner , do you have any insight on what's going on with it ?
It's not listed as a known issue, so I'm not sure if the team didn't look into that yet (you all are most probably busy with a lot of other fixes and features I'm sure, or even some well-deserved nice summer holidays !) or if you were unable to repro. It's about the local storage being cleared when "clear cookies on exit" is enabled, regardless of the exceptions in the "allow cookies" list.

My comments describing the issue and lengthy repro steps literally disappeared (???), but your answers to these comments did not. 

@josh_bodner 

Does the improved reliability for sync with work and school accounts actually mean this issue is fixed for work and school accounts or do we need to still purchase Azure P1 to get sync to work? Free Microsoft accounts sync works! So this is totally unfair for customers already paying for work and school accounts to expected to purchase extra Azure services

@josh_bodner Thank you very much for fixing the Korean IME issue. Wonder why it wasn't included in the list of fixes. While the last character deletion issue seems to have been fixed, there's a another issue with the IME, both old and new versions. Characters don't form properly in the address bar if the keyboard is switched to Korean IME while the text cursor is in the address bar. Have already provided feedback regarding this. Don't know if other IMEs are also affected.

Also, when Edge's window is maximized, context menus, Windows 10 action center, Windows Explorer and many other elements are not visible in the foreground while a page is loading, even when Edge is not in focus. They only appear after the page finishes loading or if Edge's window is not maximized (i.e. restored down).

I would love the option to use the bing daily image as my new tab image. I believe this used to be the default but at some point it was switched out for a windows spotlight style rotating image.

Not sure what's happened but I can no longer sync on my Mac (MacOS Catalina 10.15.6) since this update. It's logged in as me but says it can't sync my account since it needs to verify it's me, so needs to sign in again. I go through the steps and log in, verify 2FA code etc, then I'm stuck at the Sign In screen again. No matter how many times I sign in, I can't get past this screen to actually sync my data.

I've tried:

• Restarting the laptop
  • Signing out of Edge completely and back in
  • Deleting my profile and starting again from scratch (losing all my Edge data on this laptop in the process, lol)
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling Edge Dev altogether

Nothing has worked. On my Windows PC though, no issues with this update :smile:

Just installed Edge Beta on the MacBook to test, which signed in and is syncing without any issues.

@josh_bodner "

• Added a button to delete certain address bar suggestions. "

Doesnt seem to work for me, cant find a single way to make a search suggestion have any sort of button to click to remove it

@josh_bodner What happened to smooth scrolling? It's no longer in the flags? Scrolling feels jarring without it

sprite-1_0-1596013157088.png

@josh_bodner Excep
As a result of the last update, the exceptions to the clearing of cookies at the end of the session have disappeared. :sad:

@matb86 Showing up for me, an 'x' on the right of the dropdown when hovering over the suggestion.  BUT, not for all suggestions, I think it's only ones of sites I've visited (history), not for ones picked from my favourites or ones returned by the search engine based on the partial text.

@Dustin Halvorson 

I've been waiting for this as well to complete my Enterprise rollout. GPO support for this on day 1 is a MUST Microsoft!

Also, I'm hoping that the "We've signed you in" prompt can somehow be taken care of to complete this. I don't think it should necessarily be tied to forced sync though... maybe force sign-in.

With this users should have a completely pop-up free auto-sync experience.

@josh_bodner 

Re-enabled support for searching in the sidebar in PDFs now that the functionality has been fixed. 

Isn't appearing in right click context menu.

Screenshot 2020-07-30 084849.png

@josh_bodner The Microsoft 365 Roadmap Page https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=Microsoft%20Teams wont render in the Dev Build, it works in the release version however.

@josh_bodner I found this bug where if you type in something in the address bar and press backspace (to try to delete characters) the whole browser crashes.

@josh_bodner 

Just updated, entire browser crashes immediately after entering a 4th character into the location bar

Edit: Also crashes when hitting enter or doing just about anything else.

Edit2: Appears to be a google autocomplete issue and is impacting other versions as well.  To fix, go to settings, address bar, disable autocomplete OR add a new search provider:

{google:baseURL}search?q=%s&{google:RLZ}{google:acceptedSuggestion}{google:originalQueryForSuggestion}{google:assistedQueryStats}{google:searchFieldtrialParameter}{google:searchClient}{google:sourceId}{google:instantExtendedEnabledParameter}ie={inputEncoding}

Yup. I'm having this same issue. I thought I was going nuts.

@josh_bodner 

Windows 7 x64, Browser keep crashing on this version after 4th character typed in the address bar. 

{"crash_metadata":[{"app_name_P1":"","app_version_P2":"","bucket_id":"","event_name":"","local_id":"a30030b9-44ff-468b-9386-6924a1a7cdd0","module_name_P3":"","module_offset_P5":"","module_version_P4":"","process_type_P6":"","report_id":"a30030b9-44ff-468b-9386-6924a1a7cdd0","stack_hash_P8":"","sub_code_P7":"","upload_state":"uploaded","upload_time":"132406316550000000"},{"app_name_P1":"","app_version_P2":"","bucket_id":"","event_name":"","local_id":"81b9db69-cb9d-45cf-bb5c-77c0bb7e86ad","module_name_P3":"","module_offset_P5":"","module_version_P4":"","process_type_P6":"","report_id":"81b9db69-cb9d-45cf-bb5c-77c0bb7e86ad","stack_hash_P8":"","sub_code_P7":"","upload_state":"uploaded","upload_time":"132406316230000000"},{"app_name_P1":"","app_version_P2":"","bucket_id":"","event_name":"","local_id":"cdc4e655-1afc-431d-80eb-5c42944300fb","module_name_P3":"","module_offset_P5":"","module_version_P4":"","process_type_P6":"","report_id":"cdc4e655-1afc-431d-80eb-5c42944300fb","stack_hash_P8":"","sub_code_P7":"","upload_state":"uploaded","upload_time":"132406315430000000"},{"app_name_P1":"","app_version_P2":"","bucket_id":"","event_name":"","local_id":"db0175b7-e26d-4592-b68d-46bca9bdf217","module_name_P3":"","module_offset_P5":"","module_version_P4":"","process_type_P6":"","report_id":"db0175b7-e26d-4592-b68d-46bca9bdf217","stack_hash_P8":"","sub_code_P7":"","upload_state":"uploaded","upload_time":"132406316150000000"},{"app_name_P1":"","app_version_P2":"","bucket_id":"","event_name":"","local_id":"8d781469-0afb-41f3-814c-006fda8f5273","module_name_P3":"","module_offset_P5":"","module_version_P4":"","process_type_P6":"","report_id":"8d781469-0afb-41f3-814c-006fda8f5273","stack_hash_P8":"","sub_code_P7":"","upload_state":"uploaded","upload_time":"132406315210000000"},{"app_name_P1":"","app_version_P2":"","bucket_id":"","event_name":"","local_id":"b7253aa7-dc59-42cc-8d1d-bc79a5708ed3","module_name_P3":"","module_offset_P5":"","module_version_P4":"","process_type_P6":"","report_id":"b7253aa7-dc59-42cc-8d1d-bc79a5708ed3","stack_hash_P8":"","sub_code_P7":"","upload_state":"uploaded","upload_time":"132406314620000000"},{"app_name_P1":"","app_version_P2":"","bucket_id":"","event_name":"","local_id":"43398b47-e7b4-4ce5-aaef-a6962318ea62","module_name_P3":"","module_offset_P5":"","module_version_P4":"","process_type_P6":"","report_id":"43398b47-e7b4-4ce5-aaef-a6962318ea62","stack_hash_P8":"","sub_code_P7":"","upload_state":"uploaded","upload_time":"132406306670000000"},{"app_name_P1":"","app_version_P2":"","bucket_id":"","event_name":"","local_id":"81b75006-6810-4dff-9cb9-b8333ea8f755","module_name_P3":"","module_offset_P5":"","module_version_P4":"","process_type_P6":"","report_id":"81b75006-6810-4dff-9cb9-b8333ea8f755","stack_hash_P8":"","sub_code_P7":"","upload_state":"uploaded","upload_time":"132406302110000000"},{"app_name_P1":"","app_version_P2":"","bucket_id":"","event_name":"","local_id":"8186312d-a169-4580-ad35-d5dddc47112b","module_name_P3":"","module_offset_P5":"","module_version_P4":"","process_type_P6":"","report_id":"8186312d-a169-4580-ad35-d5dddc47112b","stack_hash_P8":"","sub_code_P7":"","upload_state":"uploaded","upload_time":"132333083730000000"},{"app_name_P1":"","app_version_P2":"","bucket_id":"","event_name":"","local_id":"cda0b656-bd45-4c09-8592-5b93c0a728e8","module_name_P3":"","module_offset_P5":"","module_version_P4":"","process_type_P6":"","report_id":"cda0b656-bd45-4c09-8592-5b93c0a728e8","stack_hash_P8":"","sub_code_P7":"","upload_state":"uploaded","upload_time":"132325984180000000"},{"app_name_P1":"","app_version_P2":"","bucket_id":"","event_name":"","local_id":"527708ce-967d-477c-9bf2-e1e7af49b874","module_name_P3":"","module_offset_P5":"","module_version_P4":"","process_type_P6":"","report_id":"527708ce-967d-477c-9bf2-e1e7af49b874","stack_hash_P8":"","sub_code_P7":"","upload_state":"uploaded","upload_time":"132325290720000000"},{"app_name_P1":"","app_version_P2":"","bucket_id":"","event_name":"","local_id":"ad10abaa-9fa5-48fe-a9b6-c8ba4fcf0d57","module_name_P3":"","module_offset_P5":"","module_version_P4":"","process_type_P6":"","report_id":"ad10abaa-9fa5-48fe-a9b6-c8ba4fcf0d57","stack_hash_P8":"","sub_code_P7":"","upload_state":"uploaded","upload_time":"132325015130000000"},{"app_name_P1":"","app_version_P2":"","bucket_id":"","event_name":"","local_id":"ca0ef787-cf4a-448c-a79e-01ef1c1928b4","module_name_P3":"","module_offset_P5":"","module_version_P4":"","process_type_P6":"","report_id":"ca0ef787-cf4a-448c-a79e-01ef1c1928b4","stack_hash_P8":"","sub_code_P7":"","upload_state":"uploaded","upload_time":"132320108900000000"},{"app_name_P1":"","app_version_P2":"","bucket_id":"","event_name":"","local_id":"e1b9f17e-7b0c-4062-8cfd-c820128109ea","module_name_P3":"","module_offset_P5":"","module_version_P4":"","process_type_P6":"","report_id":"","stack_hash_P8":"","sub_code_P7":"","upload_state":"not_uploaded","upload_time":"N/A"},{"app_name_P1":"","app_version_P2":"","bucket_id":"","event_name":"","local_id":"9b960e77-f56a-43ca-a83a-5c1fa7d41fe4","module_name_P3":"","module_offset_P5":"","module_version_P4":"","process_type_P6":"","report_id":"","stack_hash_P8":"","sub_code_P7":"","upload_state":"not_uploaded","upload_time":"N/A"},{"app_name_P1":"","app_version_P2":"","bucket_id":"","event_name":"","local_id":"b9b251ae-6da6-4906-8afb-b4abcad57eb9","module_name_P3":"","module_offset_P5":"","module_version_P4":"","process_type_P6":"","report_id":"","stack_hash_P8":"","sub_code_P7":"","upload_state":"not_uploaded","upload_time":"N/A"},{"app_name_P1":"","app_version_P2":"","bucket_id":"","event_name":"","local_id":"29843b2d-ca6d-4a93-a5db-8137e51c710b","module_name_P3":"","module_offset_P5":"","module_version_P4":"","process_type_P6":"","report_id":"","stack_hash_P8":"","sub_code_P7":"","upload_state":"not_uploaded","upload_time":"N/A"},{"app_name_P1":"","app_version_P2":"","bucket_id":"","event_name":"","local_id":"33704c6e-ccf6-452f-b07e-b24b3e5bb8ca","module_name_P3":"","module_offset_P5":"","module_version_P4":"","process_type_P6":"","report_id":"","stack_hash_P8":"","sub_code_P7":"","upload_state":"not_uploaded","upload_time":"N/A"},{"app_name_P1":"","app_version_P2":"","bucket_id":"","event_name":"","local_id":"18622e44-4765-4194-854c-fb7e190d3677","module_name_P3":"","module_offset_P5":"","module_version_P4":"","process_type_P6":"","report_id":"","stack_hash_P8":"","sub_code_P7":"","upload_state":"not_uploaded","upload_time":"N/A"}]}