SOLVED

Windows 11 taskbar labels

Iron Contributor

I was eager to install the official Windows 11 release today, however upon reading first I noticed that ungrouping taskbar icons / showing labels is not available anymore in Windows 11.

Why the heck would you remove such a useful feature? This is the only thing preventing me from installing Windows 11. Will this feature come back?

Might as well stick with Windows 10 until it sees its return (if ever). Solving this with third party tools is a no go.

125 Replies

@Brakedirt Hi

Does that mean you still have Windows10?
Are you not updating Windows11 and it is already installed?
I will add that downloading updates for Windows11 is a must!

@A1I never said I was a programmer. I said I have a twenty year old MCSE so am essentially a tinkerer. I also never said this kind of thing can be done on a corporate PC. They are always locked down by the company IT department.

@Buntobox 

Thank you!

Remember that less experienced users read this, Microsoft does not recommend changes in Windows11, of course, at your own risk you can do it.

But we're all waiting for improvements that will improve productivity with the taskbar 

I have Laptop and PC. I have install win11 on Pc, after 3 Hours win11 was Uninstalled. What a mess!!! My Vive Pro VR stop working, half software work not normally. So, win 10 new install. Never again.

@Brakedirt 

It's good that you write about it, everyone should think before installing Windows11!

This discussion helps in the decision, only in 2025 Microsoft will force us to update!

Best regards

I know that someone likes new windows, but that is not for me. a lot of things need 3 times more clicks to open something. Even Alexa dont know it.... When win11 was uninstalled, win10 dont work more properly. I dont understand why they remove thing thats people like? ps. windows explorer submenu need now 2 clicks to see old one....

@Brakedirt 

The cause of these taskbar issues was the highest security priority!

This led to the removal of access for applications to system tasks and restricted user permissions. 

Been there, done that. Hope they hear us. Buntobox's reg hack doesn't work for me either, unfortunately

BRILLIANT! I don't even mind the small fee (cheaper than Starbucks). Thanks to whomever plugged this product - it gave me back my taskbar:
https://www.startallback.com/

Wow thanks a lot for this link !
I think I'm gonna pay that 5 bucks when the 30 days trial period is over, I just can't do without my taskbar.
This guy deserves to be rewarded for his work (and again, very poor choice from Microsoft)

I agree, I will go back to windows 10 if this feature is not coming soon.

This feature is not coming soon because too many people are moving to win11. Everyone should continue upvoting the main feedback items from as many devices as you have access to. Open up "Feedback Hub" and search for "taskbar combine". Upvote everything that is returned.

In the meantime rollback to Win10 if you can and prevent as many people as possible from moving to win11. Really, disuade everyone. Friends, family, everyone on social media. A low number of upgraders will get their attention if the 10's of thousands of feedback hub votes do not.

Once you are on win11, and have exceeded the 10 day rollback period, microsoft has no reason to address this problem, you are stuck. You have become a meaningless statistic in their MAU number.

@Buntobox this did not work, AT ALL. 

A brilliant suggestion as well. This works GREAT.

@tstein86 

Well I found that it worked for me, so I passed it on in the hope it would help others. If all you can do is shout in all caps that it didn't work for you as if you consider I'm in some way responsible for that failure, then I wish I hadn't bothered.

I won't in future. It's just not worth the hassle.

This omission and the very aggressive pushing of Edge will keep me on Windows 10 for now and drive me to Linux when Windows 10 is no longer supported. If Microsoft removes features that we still use for no good reason and insists we use its own browser rather than our preferred one, then it simply isn't listening to its customers. Even on Windows 10, setting the default to a browser other than Edge has no effect on many search Windows - Edge still uses resources and pops up for those results instead of the user-selected default.

what version of win 11? i've looked and i dont have that in my registry

@marejan1930 

Here:

28-02-2022 11-49-13.jpg

28-02-2022 11-47-29.jpg

The Registry edit suggested by Buntobox didn't work for me, but installing ExplorerPatcher on GitHub restored the Win10 taskbar immediately.  Taskbar items are ungrouped and include labels, and you can adjust many settings via right-click -> Properties.

(Note: since Win10 release, I have used OpenShell (formerly ClassicShell), also found on Github, to restore earlier Start Button/Menu functionality.)

https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher 

Agreed. I really wish they would restore this functionality.