SOLVED

Win 11 Cannot change wallpaper for each monitor

Copper Contributor

Since I updated to Windows 11 I've been having a weird issue. I'm not able to select a different wallpaper for each of my two monitors. In the Personalization>Background menu, upon right clicking on the image to display the context menu, if I select "Set for Desktop 2" it does not change anything. On the other hand if I select "Set for Desktop 1" it changes the background for both monitors. Please note that I have my dual monitor set to Extend and not duplicate.

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎10/‎5/‎2021
OS build 22000.493
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.493.0

11 Replies
best response confirmed by RMNZK (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello @RMNZK, I had this issue too & found an easy fix.

Hover over the "desktop" app on the taskbar next to the magnifying glass. It should say "Desktop 1" & "New Desktop". Open a New Desktop and remove "Desktop 1". After I did this it worked for me. I hope it works for you too! :) 

@Elysian Thanks, that worked like a charm :stareyes:

Writing to confirm, Removing the Virtual Desktops manually did the trick. Works like a charm!

@Elysian 

@Elysian 

still I can not do it, can you confirm if you have win11 home or Pro

I have home edition, I suspect that having different background for each desktop is not possible on Home Edition but only on pro

@RMNZK,

@saeedmeghdadi6 I can confirm, I have separate wallpapers across three monitors BUT, if I use Projection to “This PC Only” or “Second Display Only” all my screens default to the main monitors wallpaper upon returning to Extended mode. 

thanks Christof, I just found out that separate background for each virtual desktop works only if you choose picture

that is : right click on the subject desktop ( by hovering over Task view in task bar) then choose background. it does not work with solid color or windows spotlight

detailed info on below link. my system is window 11 home edition

mind you that i  am referring to separate desktop and not referring to separate monitors

How to Use Multiple Desktops in Windows 11 (lifewire.com)

@Christof_S 

Hi@Elysian I don't see the desktop app on my taskbar you are referring to. How do I get that?

My issue is I am not getting the monitor 1 and 2 option window when I right click on an image to set for my 2nd monitor. Instead, it goes right back to my home screen.

@Christof_S 

This fixed it for me.  I went to windows 11 > Display Settings > disconnected all monitors but the main one, re-extended my 2nd monitor.  Went into Display Settings > Personalization > Background > and then had the right-click option on a recent image to select monitor 1 or 2. 

I tried the virtual desktop fixe(s) nothing worked to fix it that way.  Only starting over to extend my monitors via Display Settings. 

Fantastic - worked immediately. I didn't even know it was keeping track of potentially many "desktops"
Now does'nt work!
To set a different wallpaper for each monitor in Windows 11, follow these steps:

1.Open the Settings app by pressing Windows key + I.

2. Click "Personalization" from the left-hand menu.

3. Click on "Background" from the list of options.

4. Under the "Background" dropdown, select "Picture."

5. Click on the "Browse" button to select a different image for each monitor.

6. Once you've selected the images for each monitor, right-click on the first image and choose "Set for monitor 1" and do the same for the second image but select "Set for monitor 2."

7. Repeat step 6 for any other monitors you have connected.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by RMNZK (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello @RMNZK, I had this issue too & found an easy fix.

Hover over the "desktop" app on the taskbar next to the magnifying glass. It should say "Desktop 1" & "New Desktop". Open a New Desktop and remove "Desktop 1". After I did this it worked for me. I hope it works for you too! :) 

View solution in original post