Onedrive issues on Windows 11

Copper Contributor

I have updated my windows to 11 (build 22000.132) and I am experiencing an issue on OneDrive. When I open the file explorer and click on the OneDrive folders, it takes long time to open my folders and sometimes it even freezes. Every time I click on the folder, it appears to be loading (as the mouse cursor would become a little small blue circle). Even tough I keep my folders and files on my local drive, the issue still persists. The folder loading behavior is normal on other non-OneDrive related folders in my local drives. 

I experienced similar issues on my NAS-related folders and I suspect this issues would exist in network drives. 

99 Replies
The problem has been quietly solved by Microsoft somewhere between updating Windows to Build 22000.828 along with OneDrive 21.220.1024.0005. I have been testing since Monday, and the script to shutdown OneDrive (if you got it in 21.220.1024.0005) on startup is no longer needed.

2x Registry changes however make work with File Explorer much quicker (independently of OneDrive issue) on older machines.

This issue is still a dumpster fire.

I have updated 4 test PCs for my firm.  All PCs are recent (built/purchased in the last 18 months or less).

On two of them, the upgrade to Windows 11 went fine.

On the other two, the sluggish/inoperable OneDrive issue popped up.

We share about 400,000 files via Sharepoint among approximately 25 users.  So this is going to be a real nightmare if it is not fixed.  I am going to try a fresh Windows 11 install on the sluggish computers to see if that helps.  But it is inexplicable to me why only two of the four computers had the issue -- all computers use Rizen processors, similar ram configurations, all use SSD's, etc.  Very little platform diversity.  Yet it worked for two, but not the other two. 

@vlordahl 

On my side I know that I have a very old microsoft account. And when I install a new PC, I got a download of my roaming profil with a lot of historical content. So may be this Onedrive issue is linked to the content of user profil...

I just upgraded from Win 10 to 22000.376.0, and got the same problem that the OneDrive respond slowly and was halted sometimes.
Contact Microsoft and raise a support ticket. They messing with Windows updates and OneDrive updated. Some updates will fix the issue and further, they revert it and is not working again.

My current advice, on any production computer is to do not update to Windows 11.

@dazuk 

I have been in contact with Office 365 support about this issue and I have just heard that I will need to downgrade to Windows 10 as OneDrive for Business does not appear to be compatible with the current release of Windows 11.

WOW

Yes, nicely that they inform people about that before Upgrading.

Microsoft or some exec's there just want to count money on Windows 11 despite the product is not finished and shall not be released yet after all.
Pending support from Microsoft, you can find a very good File explorer here : https://github.com/files-community/Files
No OneDrive lag with this one ;)
The "Files" app is nice, however, on a powerful machine, but not compatible officially with Windows 11, it's a bit sluggish and the experience is not as great.

In the christmas time I tried install windows 11 on two of my laptop. I have a trick that work well since two month on developer version but I can confirm it work well too on de public version.

1. You need to add this registry key to have W10 file explorer bar

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Blocked]
"{e2bf9676-5f8f-435c-97eb-11607a5bedf7}"=""

2. Reboot explorer task or your computer to have Windows 10 explorer ribbon

3. Minimize ribbon in file explorer (see picture)

4. Reboot explorer task or your computer

I work all days long with onedrive with ± 50 000 files shared and this trick work very well for me.

If you roll down the ribbon, the problem come back and you need to roll up again and close the windows and open a new explorer windows

Escuse my english :)

Ribbon rolled up.pngRibbon.png

Already discussed this here.
I am still facing this issue with Build 22000.376
I opened a case using my premier support (I reffered to this post) and they confirmed they are working on a fix --> will keep you in touch
Anyway, for me no workaround is acceptable.
I can also mention that the slowness is increased if you use personnal onedrive + pro onedrive (nightmare)
I upgraded Win 10 Business to Win 11 Business (ver. 22000.376) yesterday and encountered this discussed issue with accessing OneDrive personal or business folders through File Explorer. I uninstalled OneDrive and reinstalled, pointing to the same local folders where I had some off-line files. Both OneDrives churned for a little bit "processing changes" and then I was as I had been previously with off-line and cloud-only files and no more issues with File Explorer.

Hello, I have this inconsistency, in the context menu in OneDrive in Windows 10, when I right-clicked, "View Online" came out and in Windows 11, when configuring OneDrive, it appears, and when it finishes synchronizing the information, it disappears.

1.PNG2.PNG

Does anyone know how to activate it, or if it doesn't appear anymore.

@Matthew888 

@Ferley_Arteaga I have similar problem. 

in this context menu my option to Share with disappear, just keep to free up space and always keep on this device, but others no. 

luizvarzini_0-1642701168843.png

@Matthew888 I have read many replies, but not tech savvy enough to understand.  I tried the uninstall of one drive and reinstall. But did not work. I can see all my files in a folder from my PC, but when I access from there they won't open. So I logged into OneDrive from the web and NO files are showing up.  Obviously this all started when I down loaded Windows 11,

Don't know how to do a "clean install" as suggested. 

Can I go back to windows 10?

This is very frustrating. 

@Matthew888 

Ths workaround listed earlier in this thread was working for me until last week when after an update things slowed right down again. After a support call to Office 365 they said they couldn't help me and I had to contact Windows support. I had the unfortunate experience of contacting MS Windows support today. They were totally useless. They suggested using File Explorer full screen (I have and it doesn't fix the issue) and then to downgrade to Win 10, even though I am past the 14 days cut off period. the guy didn't even understand my issue which I had explained at the start of the chat was an issue with File Explorer. He then suggested I change my browser to Chrome. At that point I realised he had no idea. MS is totally useless. This thread was initiated 6 months ago and there is still no fix.

Yes, they are. Windows 11 update shall be paused. For business, it's causing major issues. The fixes have been working, then not been needed as MS fix that, and with another Windows/OneDrive update is back again. I stick with Files (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/files-modern-file-manager/9nghp3dx8hdx?activetab=pivot:overviewtab) for now, despite that is performance is not the best, but better than when struggling with OneDrive in File Explorer.
Thx for sharing the tip on Files. I just installed it and it is lightening fast. Will use this since the other options suggested by MS (reinstall Win 11, revert back to Win 10) are not appropriate.