Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V stopped working

Copper Contributor

After working perfectly for years usin my Lenovo laptop, now when I try to copy or paste using the keyboard shortcuts they do not work.  

For instance Ctrl +V ends up simply as "v" not what I was trying to paste.

How did this stop working all of a sudden?  How can I fix it?

For now I have been using Right Click and then choosing the option to cut or paste and that still works.

Thank you for your help!  Larry

11 Replies
Are you using external mouse or touchpad?
Have you tried restarting your PC?

@Reza_Ameri 

I am using my normal keyboard and mouse on my Lenovo.  The same one I have used for a couple of years now.  It always worked up until a few days ago.  To me it is a mystery.

Was there some sort of Microsoft Update that could have provoked this issue?

Thank you for your assistance!

Let's run a quick test, try performing Clean Boot and see if the problem persists?
Have a look at:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-...

@Reza_Ameri 

Thany you for your reply.

I don't know what happened.  

All of a sudden my keyboard went back to  working normally like before.  I can't understand why it had stopped workin, nor can I explain how or why it went back to working.

I'm happy for now.  I hope I will not have problems in the future.

Glad the problem have been solved and thank you for sharing.
You may check the Event Viewer and you might find some clues there.
This is true if you enabled some key combinations by accident. Usually, check the key one by one and restart the computer will solve the issue.
Try restarting the device several times.

Another potential cause for the Ctrl + V shortcut not functioning in Windows 10 could be due to outdated or incorrect keyboard drivers. Updating the keyboard driver might resolve this issue. Here is a brief guide to assist you.

First, press the Windows key + R to bring up the Run dialog box. Type in devmgmt.msc and press Enter to open Device Manager.

Next, locate and expand the Keyboards section. Right-click on your keyboard's driver and choose Update Driver.

Select the option to Search automatically for updated driver software. This will prompt Windows to search for and install the latest driver for your keyboard automatically. Ensure you follow any on-screen instructions to complete the driver update.

After the driver update is complete, reboot your computer to see if the issue with the Ctrl + V shortcut not working has been resolved.

Here are some things you can try to fix the problem:

1. Restart your computer: Sometimes a simple restart can solve the issue.

2. Check for driver updates: Visit the Lenovo website and check for any driver updates for your laptop's keyboard.

3. Run a virus scan: It's possible that a virus or malware has caused the issue.

4. Check for system updates: Ensure that your system is up to date with the latest updates available for your system.

5. Try an external keyboard: If the problem persists, try using an external keyboard to see if the issue is with your laptop keyboard itself.

If none of these solutions work, it's best to take your laptop to a qualified technician who can troubleshoot the problem and make the necessary repairs.

@Apollofernie 

This did not work for me. Windows said all drivers were up to date. However, when I went to the Dell site, it found 5 critical drivers and a multitude more, as well as a Bios update released yesterday. We'll see if these fix the issues. 

Did the Dell site for mine and there's a bunch of updates for drivers and Bios that windows update didn't grab...here's hoping!