What's the difference between News & Pages? (I like the "news" widget layout)

Brass Contributor

I find the "News" layouts more appealing than Highlighted Content. 

If I create pages as "news" pages to be able to do that, where am I going to run into trouble?  Subscription feeds maybe? 

kduck_0-1647539329065.png

4 Replies

@kduck one of the differences between news pages and ordinary site pages is that news pages have a Promoted State of 2 whereas sitepages have a Promoted State of 0. A news web part picks up those pages with a Promoted State of 2.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

so I'm OK to use News as Pages as long as I like 2's just as well as 0's?

@kduck Yes, there's no problem with using News pages as ordinary pages. It will just cause some confusion if you include a news web part on your site because up to 12 of the most recent changes to your "pages" will appear.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@RobElliott I think there could be some other consequences if you use News pages as "regular," "durable" pages. For example, people who follow your site will see those pages in their news feeds. Is this what you want? This may be OK, but how will users distinguish timely News vs. "durable" content? How will you train users to create pages when they see the option to create a News post vs. a page? When you roll up articles from multiple sites, will all sites have the same guidance so that you are rolling up the same type of content? Typically, news articles have a shorter life-cycle than durable pages - so you may want to delete articles that are no longer relevant sooner than other types of pages. How will you apply your content governance policies? There is nothing technically stopping you from creating all pages as news articles - but I think it may not be a good idea from a training and governance perspective.