Unable to change navigation bar design

Copper Contributor

Hello, I'm posting the same question again as I haven't received any feedback. Maybe this time someone will be able to help me out :)

Hi, a few weeks ago I've taken over creating an intranet from scratch for my organisation. Previously there was an intranet but it was very mismanaged and cluttered with all kinds of files and folders. The problem I have is that someone who was creating the previous intranet, has somehow (likely by writing code) set a template for all organisation's sites and pages so that whenever I create one, whether I choose a blank or one of microsoft's template for it, the navigation bar always looks the same, as in the background color is the same, font of tab names is the same, the highlight color when i hover over a tab is the same and also there's always the same logo, which is mistakenly linked to a wrong outside page (I also don't know how to change that). These are the things I'd like to change. The things that I can do are add new tabs to the navigation bar and change their order, however I do not see an "Edit" button on the navigation menu and I have to do that through site's settings which also is troublesome. After analyzing the site by pressing F12 I noticed that underneath this template there is a theme color that I've set for the site. The site's I'm making are all Modern Community Sites connected to one Hub Site which will be the Home site as well as a root site when all work is done. I've also contacted Microsoft Support, however after many attempts and 3 weeks of correspondence, they were not able to help me and finally redirected me here. I'll be grateful for any help or tips. Thanks in advance!

13 Replies

Hi @Marcinll 

I suppose, you are using Site theming. If so, you can update your pallete and re-deploy it.

Hi @NanddeepNachan, first of all thanks for replying to my question.
And yes, I am using a site theming which I uploaded myself via powershell sharepoint management tool, however it does not affect the navigation menu. As I mentioned in my query, the navigation menu look is some kind of an overlay and underneath it lays the site theming that I've set. My goal is to get rid of this "overlay". Do You possibly have any ideas how to do it?

Hi @Marcinll 

Can you please share the screenshot if possible, to understand the situation better?

@NanddeepNachan In the attachment You can find the screenshot. The theme set for my site is this green color as seen on the upper navigation bar (hub navigation). In the red rectangle is a navigation menu that has mentioned "overlay" which I'm trying to turn off.

Hello,

What "edit" button is missing for you? The Hub site edit button or for the current page that you are on?
Hi @ArefHalmstrand, the edit button is missing from both Hub navigation and current page navigation. I can still change order of tabs, but I have to do it manually in the site options.

Hi @Marcinll 

The navigation highlighted in the screenshot, is it a custom SPFx Application Customizer?

@NanddeepNachan I actually don't know. Do You know how to check if it is? Unfortunately I don't have a way to contact the people that made this overlay.

As NanddeepNachan mentions, it is most likely a custom SPFx solution.

Try these two things:
1. With SharePoint Admin permissions, give yourself editing rights to the registered Hub for the site. When you register a Hub, you can assign people that have permissions to see the "Edit" button and manage the links. Make sure you have that permission.

2. Locate the app catalog, and see what custom applications have been uploaded. See if you can identify one that has to do with the top-navigation.
@ArefHalmstrand How do I give myself permissions specifically for editing hub navigation? I am already a site owner, don't I have this permission by default?

As for the second suggestion I located the app catalog and there in fact are 3 apps that are applied to all sites in sharepoint, so that might be it, I'm going to investigate it further, thank you for Your help so far.
Hi @ArefHalmstrand @NanddeepNachan unfortunately I don't think it's an spfx app. I've tried disabling all of them for newly created sites and then created a few, however all of them had the custom navigation bar look. Do you have any other ideas what might be the cause of this?
Marcinll, do you still have this issue?
Forgive me for my late reply.

Yours sincerely,
Aref Halmstrand

@Marcinll Are these sites associated with hub site and inherits theme settings from hub site?

Is there any power automate flow other automation tool applying theme to sites on site creation?

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.