SOLVED

SPO News Pages - Rights

Steel Contributor

Hi all,

Is there a way I can allow everybody to post news items (for a company Intranet) but prevent them from editing other items on the site?

I'd like them to post news but not be able to edit our IT site page for example? Or are looking into custom permissions for every library/list/page we don't want them to edit?

4 Replies
best response confirmed by David Gorman (Steel Contributor)
Solution
If this is a requirement you have and you don't have to mess up the permissions in the Site Pages library, I would recommend to have a separate site to publish your news and just display in the home page of your Intranet the news published on that site

Hi @Juan Carlos González Martín that's a very good suggestion, thanks! I think it might cause confusion with some people but it's a good choice. I'll test it.

The only other thing I was thinking of was creating a customised list for news (like older SharePoint announcements) but I'd lose some of the nice features of news.

That seems to work. It's a pity that "add item" defaults to the current site and not the news site that it's picking up the new from. Not a big deal I guess,.

@David Gorman yes this is the only drawback I have seen too. People should really been taught to know where they are publishing news. You could also look if you could do it the other way around. Put the IT pages in a seperate site.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by David Gorman (Steel Contributor)
Solution
If this is a requirement you have and you don't have to mess up the permissions in the Site Pages library, I would recommend to have a separate site to publish your news and just display in the home page of your Intranet the news published on that site

View solution in original post