SOLVED

SharePoint Online Permissions bug

Copper Contributor

I am having issues with SharePoint Online permissions on my site. When I add a new user to the site I would place them in a group with "Read" permissions.

However if I then view users under "Site Permissions" it would show that the new user would have "Read" and "Edit" permissions, though the user would still only actually have "Read" permissions, the "Edit" is just a false showing (shown below).

Capita User showing edit and read.PNG

To further this, if i then change the users "Edit" permissions to "Read" the user actually loses all permissions and cannot access the site again. I have attached some pictures to help describing this

Changing permissions from "Edit" to "Read"

Changing user permissions.PNG

User now has no site permissions

user now has no permissions.PNG

This issue is causing some inefficiencies as we are not able to easily determine a users permission level at a glance.

6 Replies
best response confirmed by k1051 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Open a support ticket to report this issue...this behavior is not correct and totally unexpected

@Juan Carlos González Martín Thanks Juan, I've raised the support ticket and it seems to be progressing nicely

@k1051 

Did you get a resolution to this? Seems we have something similar.

@JleebikerThe Microsoft Support team assisted me when I raised the ticket. If I remember correctly the end fix was to delete and re-create the default site owner, member and visitor groups. 

@k1051 Thanks. We figured out a different method that didn't require that.

@Jleebiker 

We are having this issue, how did you approach this?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by k1051 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Open a support ticket to report this issue...this behavior is not correct and totally unexpected

View solution in original post