SOLVED

Sharepoint List Calendar Overlay

Copper Contributor

I love the custom fields available on the new lists (not event lists)

I love that you can create a calendar view from the new list

How in the world do you overlay these calendar views? I've lost days of my life trying to track down what should be a simple feature.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by zachciaburri (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Unfortunately you cannot create a calendar view in a custom list and overlay it on a Calendar. You can only overlay lists created using Events/Calendar list templates. Calendar view on a custom list just creates a Calendar UI but it is not an Events/Calendar list in the backend and cannot be treated as one.

@Bharath Arja thank you for your answer! I think Microsoft really needs a calendar task force as their calendar functions and cross-compatibility across their products is abysmal. 

@zachciaburri I agree with @Bharath Arja. You cannot use overlays in modern calendar views similar to old/classic calendar lists.

Related ReadCreate a modern Calendar view in SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists 

Please consider giving a Like if my post helped you in any way.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by zachciaburri (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Unfortunately you cannot create a calendar view in a custom list and overlay it on a Calendar. You can only overlay lists created using Events/Calendar list templates. Calendar view on a custom list just creates a Calendar UI but it is not an Events/Calendar list in the backend and cannot be treated as one.

View solution in original post