SharePoint Hosting Images for Power BI Dashboard

Copper Contributor

Greetings,

I've tried multiple paths to get this to work properly, and have come to a dead end.  Looking for some assistance on the best way to accomplish displaying images within a Power BI report using a SharePoint Image URL.

Use case:

I've got a survey tool that stores images and data to SharePoint Online.  There are several thousand photos in total.  I have built a dashboard to display the roll-up of the survey results, but need to drill down into the raw details of some surveys and view the photos.  I need this functionality for all users with access to the report.

Current state:

I have successfully pulled in the root folder information, and file extension for the photos into PBI Desktop (http://name.sharepoint.com/sites/name/folder/image.jpg).  If I am viewing the dashboard, all of the images are present.  (From reading on this forum, this is due to me having permissions to my folder, and thus I am authenticated vs. anyone else viewing who is not.)  If I share this dashboard with anyone, they are unable to view the photos. (however on a few occasions other users have been able to view these photos).  I DO have 'Anyone with this link' permissions for the entire folder in which the photos are stored in SharePoint.

Problem to solve:

Despite the folder being shared with 'Anyone with this link', I have tested the direct link used in BI, by sending to another user, and they are still asked to login.  (http://name.sharepoint.com/sites/name/folder/image.jpg)  Is there a different 'direct link' that can be used for the photos that is NOT manually created by clicking the 'share' link in SharePoint?  As there are several thousand photos, this is not scalable.  Or is there another workaround or process that could be used to display the photos using the SharePoint image URL in BI?

Thanks for the help

1 Reply

@BlueTechWe are having the exact same issue. It is rediculas that they make this process so complicated.

My question is that as long as everyone who is using the PowerBi dashboard has full access to the sharepoint site hosting the images it shouldnt be a problem, but we are yet to test that

hopefully someone will come along with a solution soon. It would be great if Forms could translate the links into the sharable ones but this is microsoft we are talking about!

Cheers