Remove IRM on protected files in Document Library while IRM already has been disabled

Iron Contributor

Does anybody have any idea if its possible to recover the access to restricted documents in a Document Library which was protected with Information Rights Management?

Back in 2018 IRM was disabled on this library and throughout the SPO-ADMIN Center.

Alle files before 2018 are still protected and not accesable.

Does anyone have any idea how to get access or unprotect these online files?

Already tried with a support case via Microsoft but that hasnt helped a bit.

7 Replies
I suppose you're talking about the legacy SharePoint IRM feature here. I haven't used that but as IRM uses Azure Rights Management I'm thinking you might be able to use any of these permissions.

Export or Full control, rights management issuer/owner or for sure the super user feature.

You could try this cmdlet too as SharePoint or Global admin
Unlock-SPOSensitivityLabelEncryptedFile

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/sharepoint-online/unlock-sposensitivitylabelencry...
Hi Christian,

Thanks for your suggestions but the Unlock-SPOSensitivityLabelEncryptedFile doesnt change a thing.
Also the Unprotect-RMSfiles didnt help us.

Anyone with any other suggestion?
Super user will do it. If not, I have no idea and you better reach out to the official support.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/information-protection/configure-super-users
What do you mean by Super User will do it? I executed all commands from a global admin account.

Read the article. Global admin won't solve anything if it's not enabled.

Sorry ;)

SuperUser looks like the way the go but how can i execute a set-aiplabel command against a sharepoint online path/location? Or do i have to download or connect over webdav to execute such?
As documented you cannot use SPO path or webdav.. so I suppose you need to move those files elsewhere, especially if there are many. You can look at the -Path parameter to see what's supported. Good luck!