"User not in directory" error, for a valid user when accessing SharePoint site

Steel Contributor

We have a modern communication site, and when an internal user try to access the site he will get this error:-

usernot.png

Although i checked the user permission inside the site, and i found that the user has a Read permission as follow:-

permio.png

Also i check the user inside office 365, and i find that the user has the license and is valid as follow:-

user1.png

So not sure what is going on?

6 Replies

@john john 

Possibly something went wrong during the synchronisation ?

Does this happen to any other SharePoint sites?

Delete the User profile from SharePoint Online Admin center in classic mode

User Profiles > Manage User Profiles

Delete the user profile if it is there

More info: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/manage-user-profiles

It may also be a mismatch PUID which can be resolved here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/remove-users

Also double check for broken inheritance on the site, such as the page or site page library, this may cause an issue as well. 

@john john I've seen that error when the user account isn't licensed (make sure SharePoint is checked as part of the Office 365 license) or when someone is not entering their username correctly (it may differ from their email address).

@kevisee  ok thanks for the reply. this error will happen on all the SharePoint sites for the user. now if i delete the user profile -as you mentioned-, then will I have to wait for the next sync job to run, for the user profile to become available again?

Finally there is not any broken inheritance, and even if the user does not have intermission on a site/list/item, the user will get an error about permission, but will not get an error "User not in directory"..

@Deletedthanks for the reply. now as shown on the picture i provided the user has "intune license office 365 E3" + the user name inside the error message is the same as the email i checked the user profile and the user permission .. not sure what is going on ? i never face such a problem for internal users...

@john john Are you logged in with an other user, ie. provided by SSO?

What will happend when you open the browser in incocnito or as guest?

we got this error somethimes with "guest accounts"

Hi @john john ,

Yes the account will reappear after a re-sync