SOLVED

Only site collection admins can remove sharing links and users

Deleted
Not applicable

Hi,

for the first time I have noticed that users that are not site collection administrators have no option to manage the sharing links they created or users they shared an item with. What I mean by that is that if you select an item in a document library and view the info bar to the right, a site collection admin has the option to remove sharing links or external users from the item.

I noticed that everybody else, regardless of permission level, does not have the option to remove sharing links they created or users that they shared the file with.

Do you know if this is standard behavior? If so, who else besides a site collection administrator can manage shared items?

5 Replies

Made a couple of screenshots. Scenario is:

A member shared a file with an external user. The goal is for the member to be able to remove the external user's access.

First up, the site collection admin view:

1.png

The last placeholder icon is the single external user.

Next up, the member's view:

2.png

As you can see there's no dropdown next to the placeholder icon which means the member cannot revoke the external user's access for the item that the granted him access to. There's not even the 'stop sharing' button.

This test was carried out on a stock classic team site.

Any ideas if this is intended that only site collection admins can manage access for items with unique permissions?

Thanks.

Hi,

I wanted to follow this up and ask you if you were able to reconstruct this issue. I don't know if this is due to a faulty setting or inteded behavior.

To summarize the question: Can non-site collection admins manage shared items as shown in the screenshots?

Thanks for your input.

best response
Solution

Hi Florian,

I believe users need to have "Manage Permissions" permission in order to, well, manage permissions. The members of the owners group should have this as well. If this doesn't work, please let me know. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

Thanks for chiming in Stephen.

I can confirm that your assumption is correct. I did not notice or think of the fact that the permission level that members were assigned to might not include the permission 'Manage Permissions'.

Sorry for the confusion.

No problem Florian, happy to help!

Stephen Rice

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

Hi Florian,

I believe users need to have "Manage Permissions" permission in order to, well, manage permissions. The members of the owners group should have this as well. If this doesn't work, please let me know. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

View solution in original post