SOLVED

How to view Site hierarchy on a sharepoint online site?

Copper Contributor

I need to view a diagram (? or other illustrative means) all shows all 'children' sharepoint online pages that hang off a 'parent' sharepoint page if that makes sense.

I've navigated to the 'parent' page and tried many options available via the cog wheel (see screenshot) but can't find anything.

If it helps, I'm listed as a 'owner' per screenshot below.

1 Reply
best response confirmed by robertpegrumrabobank (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @robertpegrumrabobank 

There's no such thing as 'site hierarchy' in a SharePoint Online Modern site collection.  All pages are stored in the Site pages library of your site, effectively at the 'same level' (presuming you don't have sub-sites enabled).

You manually create your site navigation/IA using the navigation editing tool (unless someone has set up metadata navigation for you  - if this is the case speak to whoever set up the metadata navigation).

My organisation is just using the out of the box navigation and what we have done for our site collections is to create an additional column in our Site Pages library that has, as a choice field, the labels we use for the 'parent' pages of the site collection.  Any pages that are 'children' of a parent page have its value assigned as in the appropriate page property field.  

Once you've tagged all your pages, you can then create a view in your site pages library that groups the pages by the parent.  If you have a need for a third level of navigation (i.e. grandchildren), you could create another column in the Site pages library so can have a second layer of grouping.

This won't provide you with a hierarchy you can print out, but it might help you visualise the parent-child relationships that you have in your site.

Please note - I am talking about a single site collection here, not something that is made up of multiple site collections that may be using Hub site connections - for information about that please see the Planning your SharePoint Hub Sites article in the Microsoft Docs site

I hope this information is useful to you.

Regards

Jenny

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by robertpegrumrabobank (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @robertpegrumrabobank 

There's no such thing as 'site hierarchy' in a SharePoint Online Modern site collection.  All pages are stored in the Site pages library of your site, effectively at the 'same level' (presuming you don't have sub-sites enabled).

You manually create your site navigation/IA using the navigation editing tool (unless someone has set up metadata navigation for you  - if this is the case speak to whoever set up the metadata navigation).

My organisation is just using the out of the box navigation and what we have done for our site collections is to create an additional column in our Site Pages library that has, as a choice field, the labels we use for the 'parent' pages of the site collection.  Any pages that are 'children' of a parent page have its value assigned as in the appropriate page property field.  

Once you've tagged all your pages, you can then create a view in your site pages library that groups the pages by the parent.  If you have a need for a third level of navigation (i.e. grandchildren), you could create another column in the Site pages library so can have a second layer of grouping.

This won't provide you with a hierarchy you can print out, but it might help you visualise the parent-child relationships that you have in your site.

Please note - I am talking about a single site collection here, not something that is made up of multiple site collections that may be using Hub site connections - for information about that please see the Planning your SharePoint Hub Sites article in the Microsoft Docs site

I hope this information is useful to you.

Regards

Jenny

View solution in original post