How to add limited access permission on external users on a document library

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone,

I have created a custom permission level on SharePoint Online, where i want external users to be able to have contribute permissions without delete.

If i try to share directly a folder inside a document library i get only the view and edit permissions. So i went to the folder, i disabled inheritance and add the users with the appropriate rights.

The problem is though that in order to be able to see the folder, those users must have limited access permission on the document library and this permission appear only when the user send an access request.

Is there a way to avoid it and setup the rights from the start? Is there another way to setup those rights that i am not aware of?

Thanks in advance for your help.

3 Replies
Create a custom permission level: Go to Site Settings > Site Permissions > Permission Levels. Create a new custom permission level with "Add Items", "Edit Items", "View Items", "Open Items", "View Versions", and "View Application Pages" permissions. Make sure to uncheck the "Delete Items" permission.

Grant permissions at the document library level: Go to the document library where you want to grant access to external users. Stop inheriting permissions and remove all existing permissions. Add the external users and grant them the custom permission level you created in step 1.

Grant permissions at the folder level: Navigate to the folder where you want to grant access to external users. Stop inheriting permissions and remove all existing permissions. Add the external users and grant them the custom permission level you created in step 1.

Test the permissions: Ask one of the external users to log in and try to access the folder. They should be able to see the folder and its contents, but not delete anything.
Hello,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay on my response. I have created a permission level to grant only basic access on a document library. i named it List_Only so whenever i wanna give access with custom permission level setting on a sub folder, i follow this procedure.
The only problem i have though is that on document library permission settings and/or sub folder permission settings, those users does not appear on the list even though is it validated that their assigned permissions are working correct. I am just wondering what i have to do if i want to remove a user from the library or subfolder.
Hello everyone,

Anyone has faced similar issue to help me?
Thanks.