Export List view / Formatting to JSON

Copper Contributor

How can one export the layout customization of a SharePoint list and then apply those customizations to another list?

We are using Veeam to backup and restore and the list when restored has all the data but the columns and the organization of said columns is not retained upon restoration. 
I have tried to use the PnP Powershell module but the method only appears to work when exporting  and then restoring the lists to another site. I purely want to get the column configuration so it can be restored.

5 Replies

@sof_brad before you do the backup & restore you need to create the structure of the new list from the "from an existing list" option. It will then maintain the column order and JSON formatting when you add the data.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@sof_brad You can use PowerShell or SharePoint REST API to export JSON formatting of column or view.

For more information, check:

1. How to export or backup column formatting JSON values? 
  2. Export / Import list formatting 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Do you have some more details on how to accomplish that?

@sof_brad Here's Microsoft official documentation about the feature (create list "From existing list") mentioned by @RobElliott in his above response: Create a new list based on the columns in another list 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Hi my friend, you can try this tool that allows you to export SharePoint lists to JSON, XML, Collections Power Apps and more.

https://export-list-sharepoint.web.app/