Documents Site Help

Copper Contributor

Hi

I am new to Sharepoint.  As a Azure administrator I have created a Documents Site in Sharepoint.  I have full permissions on the site but when I open a document edit and try to save it, it says read only you do not have permission to save the file.        This is in the web portal and via OneDrive. 

I want sharepoint to replace our current Windows File Server this is my aim.

Help thanks.

8 Replies

@glenbow Are you trying to create and edit files in SharePoint or in OneDrive?

Follow Microsoft documentation: Edit a document in a document library 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

both. My sharepoint document site/library is sync in my my OneDrive app on my laptop.

@glenbow Are you able to edit documents using SharePoint UI?

Can you try following the Microsoft documentation link given in my above response and let us know if it works for you using SharePoint UI?

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

it doesnt allow me to edit documents in the Sharepoint UI.

I dont understand why it doesnt as I am the main administrator of the Azuure domain.

@glenbow Are you able to access the site permissions setting for your SharePoint site?

Try hitting URL in below format in browser tab: 

https://contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/siteName/_layouts/15/user.aspx?

If you are able to access above URL, check what are the permissions granted to user account you are using to edit files.

This is what I have got...

IT Department Documentation Members
SharePoint Group Full Control

IT Department Documentation Owners
SharePoint Group Full Control

IT Department Documentation Visitors
SharePoint Group Read

@glenbow Check user account permissions from permissions settings page using below options: 

ganeshsanap_0-1663670736198.png

It will show you resulting permissions like this: 

ganeshsanap_1-1663670856755.png

User account should have contribute or higher permissions (Edit, Design or Full Control). Check User permissions and permission levels 

@ganeshsanap

This is what permissions are set...

IT Department Documentation: Check Permissions

Permission levels given to Glen (membership¦email address removed for privacy reasons)

Full Control   Given through the "IT Department Documentation Owners" group.

Read, Limited Access     Given through the "IT Department Documentation Visitors" group.

Full Control, Limited Access   Given through the "IT Department Documentation Members" group.

Limited Access  Given through the "Style Resource Readers" group.