Create A Document Approval Workflow In A SharePoint Online Library

Iron Contributor

In this tutorial, I will demonstrate how to create a document approval workflow in SharePoint Online using an out-of-the-box feature that was added to SharePoint. The “Send For Approval” workflow allows users to send selected documents for approval directly through SharePoint with a few simple clicks. The workflow is facilitated through Microsoft Power Automate but can be created within the SharePoint library. Using this method, requestors can send a document to multiple approvers however, the default is that only one approval is required (the first to respond). Approvers will receive notifications via email (which can be actioned directly from the email), through the Microsoft Teams approvals app and can also action the approval from the Power Automate approvals interface.

To create an ad-hoc approval request, navigate to your library:

1. Select the file you want to send for approval
  2. Click on the show actions button “…”
  3. Hover over “Automate”
  4. Select “Request sign-off”
  5. Select your approvers
  6. Enter a message
  7. Click “run flow”

For this tutorial, I also partnered with the leading Digital Adoption provider: WalkMe Digital adoption platforms are applications that serve as an invisible layer over any web-based, desktop or mobile app that can provide users with in-app guidance and on-screen contextual help. As you’re going to see in the tutorial, I have built a custom workflow in the WalkMe platform that is going to display in-app guidance in the form of on-screen bubbles that will clearly outline each step that must be completed to create a document approval workflow in SharePoint.

0 Replies