Change default views for subfolders

Copper Contributor

I want to understand how I can change the default views for subfolders in sharepoint online. What I want to accomplish is basically to have the same columns in all folders except for one folder where I want to have completely different columns, by default. 

I have tried creating content types, added those and connected the view properties to these content types. It works perfectly if I access it manually from the "classic" sharepoint view but not through the regular one which is the one all of my colleagues use and also the one where it needs to work at. 

I have also tried doing it through the Per-Location View Settings but nothing happens at all when I do that, even when I change the Metadata navigation settings.

Does anyone have an idea of how I can fix this?

2 Replies
You cannot create views for subfolders...views in SPO only apply to list and document libraries and not to any sublevel you can have
So as a work around, you could use a link that goes to the folder, because you can link to a view. So you could go to the folder, then the view you need to show the proper metadata. Copy the URL. Go back where you want this link to this view/folder and click New > Link. Paste in that link, and you have a shortcut per say that should get you there. If for some reason it treats it like a usual SharePoint link and strips everything off, you might have to feed that URL through a URL shortener then use that shorter link as the link file destination.

Anyway, just an idea since you can't really accomplish what you're doing via folder browsing out of the box.