SOLVED

Can I do a bulk edit for content approval?

Brass Contributor

Hi. We need to start using content approval for an existing SharePoint library. I have set up a button in a column to trigger a flow, which starts and waits for approval, automatically sent to the Approver who is entered into another column in the library. Works great.

My issue is that the ~500 items in the library all now show as draft, when in reality they were all approved previously by our old process.

Can I bulk edit the approval status? All leads so far suggest this isn't possible. The best I can see is that I have a note in the procedure that we only implemented content approval at this date, so it only applies to changes made after that date, but that seems a poor solution.

Cheers, GraemeNZ

2 Replies
I have just answered part of my question. According to this blog below, bulk approval is now a feature. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-sharepoint-blog/optimizing-business-solutions-with-...

So now my question becomes, "Can I do a bulk approval request that doesn't spam my approvers with notifications, so that then they can do a bulk approval as per the above link?"

Cheers, GraemeNZ
best response confirmed by GraemeNZ (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Ah, I've done it again. Sorry, my brain must be tired. Here's my solution in case other users search for this.

In SharePoint, I select all items, the click ellipsis and check them all out. Once checked out, I check all the docs back in as a Major version. This sets content approver to Pending. Now I can click the ellipsis, click More, and Approve/Reject. This allows me to approve all items myself (as admin) without troubling my approvers.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by GraemeNZ (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Ah, I've done it again. Sorry, my brain must be tired. Here's my solution in case other users search for this.

In SharePoint, I select all items, the click ellipsis and check them all out. Once checked out, I check all the docs back in as a Major version. This sets content approver to Pending. Now I can click the ellipsis, click More, and Approve/Reject. This allows me to approve all items myself (as admin) without troubling my approvers.

View solution in original post