SOLVED

Assign view to a group in sharepoint list

Copper Contributor

I have a group of users created as A, B & C in a sharepoint list.

I also have 3 different views created for the same list as A1, B1 & C1.

How can I assign A1 view to A group users, B1 to B group users & C1 view to C group users.

I want that when users from A group accesses the list, they should be able to see the view that is assigned to them. Same with B & C users.

6 Replies
You can do it in two ways:
- Assign permission For Sharepoint designer
https://www.sharepointdiary.com/2013/01/set-permissions-and-restrict-access-to-views.html

- Or with automatic flow of Powerautomates that assign permissions to a new or change element of list. In this case, views is not necesary because any user can view elements wich have permission. If you go with this way, you must put in flow a step to break inherit. I have an example if yoy want I can put it,
Best regards

@harshadr Unfortunately, currently there is No way to use target Audience in SharePoint Modern list views.

You can only grant access at SharePoint list level and set only one list view as default view in list.

Check my answer at: View for individual user groups 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Thanks. But then what is the objective of creating different views. After you create a view, whats the point of manually selecting a view to see your information in a specific format? It will be useful only when you can assign it to a group so that when that group of users access the list, the list shows that view.
Unfortunately, SharePoint assign views to users or everyone. The only trick I know is do it in Sharepoint Designer 2013.
best response confirmed by harshadr (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@harshadr 

You can create custom views of libraries and lists to organize and show items that are most important to you (like certain columns), to add filtering or sorting, or to have a more engaging style. You can create a personal view (that only you can see) or, if you have permissions to do so, you can create a public view for everyone who uses the list to see.

Many lists have other views besides the default view that you see when you first go to the list. To see other views, select the View options menu on the upper right-hand side of the command bar, and then select the view you want.

Source documentationCreate, change, or delete a view of a list or library 

Audience targeting on list views was available in classic experience of SharePoint lists. This is not yet available in modern experience.

If you want Microsoft to implement it in modern experience, you can submit new idea on SharePoint Feedback portal or vote on similar existing ideas like this one: Manage a list view/library view 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@harshadr Although you cannot target views to different audiences, what you could do is create your views for each audience and then on the home page of your site, use the Quick Links web part (button layout) to create a link that points to each view. You can target links to different audiences so as long as the groups you want to target are valid Target Audiences, A would see a button that points to the "A" view and B would see a button that points to the "B" view, etc. So, instead of pointing users directly to the list itself, point them to a page where there are targeted links. You could do the same thing in navigation, where you can also target links using target audiences.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by harshadr (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@harshadr 

You can create custom views of libraries and lists to organize and show items that are most important to you (like certain columns), to add filtering or sorting, or to have a more engaging style. You can create a personal view (that only you can see) or, if you have permissions to do so, you can create a public view for everyone who uses the list to see.

Many lists have other views besides the default view that you see when you first go to the list. To see other views, select the View options menu on the upper right-hand side of the command bar, and then select the view you want.

Source documentationCreate, change, or delete a view of a list or library 

Audience targeting on list views was available in classic experience of SharePoint lists. This is not yet available in modern experience.

If you want Microsoft to implement it in modern experience, you can submit new idea on SharePoint Feedback portal or vote on similar existing ideas like this one: Manage a list view/library view 

View solution in original post