Outlook display intermittent problem - overlapping images

Copper Contributor

Dear all,

Does anyone have the same issue?

Outlook display problem 1.jpgOutlook display problem 2.jpgOutlook display problem 3.jpgOutlook display problem 4.jpgOutlook display problem 5.jpg

Windows 10 Professional

Dell Optiplex 7050

Intel HD 630 Graphics

Presently, happened to two PCs (same model) 

Noticed it happens to Outlook version 2201 and above.

Steps taken so far:

Updated Windows

Updated PC firmware

Updated display driver

Updated Microsoft Office 365 

Tried to disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration in Outlook and Windows but could not find this option in the new Outlook version and Windows settings (not supported by the graphics card).  

Tried rescaling the display 100%, 

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,
Daryl

9 Replies

@daryl0702 I have also observed the same issue on two separate machines and performed similar steps as you have described to try and fix the issue however it still seems to be occurring on users devices. 

Could this be a bug within Outlook? 

SHCDanielM_0-1645801982371.png

SHCDanielM_1-1645802091263.png

Hello @SHCDanielM 

I believe so it's an Outlook bug! And it's from a certain latest version onwards.  It had been working fine until the office updates at some point. 

Perhaps it's a bug with certain graphics cards? Two users reported the same problem so far and they are using the same dell pc model.

I might be trying to add a graphics adapter to replace the on board integrated card to test this out..

Thanks.

Daryl

@daryl0702We have seen the issue on both an Intel based processor:

SHCDanielM_1-1646040192450.png

and also an AMD based processor.

SHCDanielM_2-1646040284505.png

Yes, unfortuntly it started approx. 1-2 months ago and happens at least once a day. It goes away if I close Outlook and reopen it. My IT team has uninstalled and reinstalled the program and that did not fix this issue. Our IT team is looking into it again today and I will update this reply, if I get this fixed. Another post I am also following with the same issue that may be of interest to you - https://www.reddit.com/r/Outlook/comments/q6m59v/latest_versions_of_outlook_or_365_apps_and/

Thanks @marykmurphy82 

I added a separate graphics card in the PC and have the monitors connected to the graphics card, avoided using the onboard graphic card Intel HD 630 that came with the PC. I have not got any similar complaints from the user, and hopefully it solves the problem.

Unfortunately, this will not help for laptops as additional installation of graphics card is not possible. 

However, i am still not certain if it's the issue with the graphics card display adapter. If it is, then probably the new office updates don't work well with certain graphics cards.  

I added a separate graphics card in the PC and have the monitors connected to the graphics card, avoided using the onboard graphic card Intel HD 630 that came with the PC. I have not got any similar complaints from the user, and hopefully it solves the problem.

Unfortunately, this will not help for laptops as additional installation of graphics card is not possible.

However, i am still not certain if it's the issue with the graphics card display adapter. If it is, then probably the new office updates don't work well with certain graphics cards.

@daryl0702 Sometimes, very few times (1 time for month) it happens not with me, but with a colleague, intel 630 latest drivers.

Office 2019 latest update

looks like office running with the latest updates has compatibility issues with intel 630.

I have the same issues on a Windows 11 PC laptop with Intel and nVidia graphics processors. The display issues occur not just in outlook, but also in Word and Windows Settings? 

There is no Display Category and therefore no Disable Graphics Acceleration in Outlook Options, Advanced settings on my PC running Windows 11 with latest updated Office 365.

Also the strange display issues also extend to and occur in Microsoft Word and in Windows Settings window. Looks like a Microsoft bug. Any help is appreciated.