SOLVED

Can't send Spectrum emails in Outlook, Spectrum blames outlook

Copper Contributor

Running Windows 11 and using default "Mail" program, but that's going away and we're supposed to use the "new" Outlook.

I have set up multiple email accounts there, yahoo, hotmail, and spectrum.

The first two work fine, but when trying to send email from the Spectrum account I get this error:

Technical details

SmtpConnectionInvalidResponsePermanentException: Server 'mail.twc.com' Port '587' returned invalid response. Check your SMTP server settings. --> Unexpected SMTP server response. Expected: 220, actual: 554, whole response: 554 p-impout007.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net cmsmtp 52.96.176.229 blocked. Please see https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/understanding-email-error-codes for more information. AUP#Out-1130

Failure code: 66fc

I triple checked and I am using the settings as recommended by Spectrum:

--------------------------

IMAP configuration

Hostname

mail.twc.com

Port

Secure connection type

SSL / TLS (recommended)

SMTP configuration

Hostname

mail.twc.com

Port

Secure connection type

StartTLS

--------------------------

Talked to Spectrum help and since I can send emails out on their web interface it "must" be a problem with Outlook, which in my opinion is BS as the error is coming back from the spectrum mail server itself!

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Follow up: the error code 1130 in the failure message translate into this from the spectrum error code page:

The IP address you’re trying to connect from has an issue with the Domain Name System. Spectrum requires a full circle DNS for emails to be allowed through. Verify the IP you’re connecting from, and check the IP address to ensure a reverse DNS entry exists for the IP. If the IP address is a Spectrum-provided email address, contact us.

9 Replies

@James Kunz 

I ran into the same problem last night and today!  This was working fine most of yesterday and I gave it a night to correct and I still can't connect with Outlook, only Spectrum's email.  I contacted Spectrum support this morning and they don't support third party software, i.e. MS Outlook!  I get it but none of my settings changed and we are unable to access on our laptops and phones now.  

Let me know if you get anywhere with this! Thanks!!
best response confirmed by James Kunz (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Shell1405 

Apparently it IS Outlook trying to sync emails to its cloud before sending out .. please see my post on the spectrum community site:
How to set up the "new" MS Outlook for RR mail — Spectrum Community

@James Kunz 

Thanks, I will take a peek at your link....this randomly happened at both of our business locations on the evening of December 4th....this is what Spectrum tech chatted to me:  

"This is a common issue with charter emails. At this time your account no longer supports stand alone emails as a result you can only check your email at spectrum.net.  I do apologize for the inconvenience."

So that's that!

UPDATE: After being disconnected from Outlook email via Spectrum....it is now all working again!

@Shell1405 

What do you mean you disconnected Outlook from Spectrum? 

Outlook was not working with Spectrum.

Outlook is a mail client. Spectrum sounds like it's your mail provider. Spectrum cannot help you with issues with Outlook or any other mail client as it isn't there software. All they can do is provide you the settings. If you're not able to access your webmail, well then that would be an issue they would resolve. I know it may seem like they're not being helpful but it isn't there software. I work at a web hosting company so this is a very hot button issue for me lol. Your mail client is not your email, your email provider did not create your mail client. If your account recently underwent changes I would suggest removing the mail account from Outlook and then adding it back in. It might sound silly but this clears any old/incorrect/cached information @James Kunz 

@wpwizard thanks for the reply .. this started working a month or two ago .. so apparently the new outlook fixed it's problems interacting with the spectrum mail servers.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by James Kunz (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Shell1405 

Apparently it IS Outlook trying to sync emails to its cloud before sending out .. please see my post on the spectrum community site:
How to set up the "new" MS Outlook for RR mail — Spectrum Community

View solution in original post