Unable to set up OneDrive on a MAC

Iron Contributor

I cannot install OneDrive on a MAC.

Error message: "Your OneDrive folder can't be created in the location you selected. Try a different location. Make sure that the location isn't on a removable drive, or on a disk that has a case-sensitive format."
I tried with different folders, but the same error message appears. I uninstalled OneDrive, deleted all OneDrive files at the related locations and installed it again.
16 Replies

@AtanasM I recently rebuilt my iMac and have the same problem.  The OS X drive is not case sensitive nor is removable.  I've uninstalled and installed. OneDrive a couple of times.  Very frustrating.  I have my OneDrive on my MBP with no issues.  Hope we can get some help soon.

Jack

@BarneyRubble-AMX 

I have the samen problem and tried the same steps. 

OneDrive used to work on this MBP, but under the intel client it had a memory leak. So I tried to upgrade to the Apple Silicon version, but now it's doesn't install at all

I just solved it for me:
I searched for all one drive related files on my harddrive and removed them from my system. I found an instance at users/%name/library/cloudstorage (is hidden) and removed that one also.

After this one drive installed and is synchronizing at this moment

@viktorv 

@viktorv Thanks.  I'm glad that worked.  I have tried that as well but with no luck.  I will try again.  

@viktorv Just wanted to let all know that this worked for me. You must delete the entire cloud storage folder and then run OneDrive again.

Tried twice, no joy. Even used an app to remove all of OneDrive (Nektony App Cleaner & Uninstaller) and the CloudStorage folder twice. No joy. Will try to boot into Safe mode and try again.

@BarneyRubble-AMX 

I tried a bunch of the stuff above, but resetting OneDrive using the ResetOneDriveApp.command script is what finally worked for me:

• Quit OneDrive. (Select the cloud icon in the top tray, then select SettingsQuit OneDrive.)

• Find OneDrive in your Applications folder.

• Right-click OneDrive and select Show Package Contents.

• Browse to the Contents > Resources folder.

• Double-click ResetOneDriveApp.command (or ResetOneDriveAppStandalone.command, if you're using the standalone app).

• Start OneDrive and finish the setup process.

Copied from:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/reset-onedrive-34701e00-bf7b-42db-b960-84905399050c

See also:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/cannot-create-onedrive-folder-on-my-new-mac/b...

@jcrows That looks very reasonable.  Last week my OneDrive just started populating on its own.  It was after a Safari update so I suspect for my system it was something Apple did that stopped it and then corrected it.  Oh well.  It is working fine now.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and ideas.

Jack

Worked, thank you
Yes this solution worked for me.
Unfortunately, after following all of the steps indicated on here, it's still not working for me. I'm trying it on a Personal account as well as an Exchange account. It didn't work on either one of them. Can anyone help, or perhaps can Microsoft actually address this issue?
Deleting Cloud storage folder AND run the reset credentials command as described above worked for me

@crownmountain - this worked for me too, many thanks!

It works! Thanks

This worked perfect! Thank you so much@jcrows 

Great. Worked.