Onedrive used the 'mklink' command to synchronize files for too long

Copper Contributor

I used to use the 'mklink' command to synchronize files on other drives to onedrive, but for some reasons, I had to reinstall the system. However, when I reinstall the system and synchronize the files on the original drive to onedrive again using the 'mklink' command, onedrive is stuck in the place where 'changes are being processed'.I used to synchronize about 3TB of data. At present, onedrive shows that "275626 changes are being processed". My computer has been running for three consecutive days. According to my estimation, onedrive only processes about 10000 files every day. If things go on like this, will I not turn off my computer for a month? I once tried to view my files using onedrive on the web. I found that onedrive did not change any of my files, but because the onedrive client has been stuck in 'processing changes', I can't synchronize new files. How to solve this problem?A[]D}`2KM3W{PPGUY7J7G[C.png

(The screenshot only shows the number of files on one of my drives, and there are two other drives)

2 Replies
If any of your file metadata has altered e.g. my your sync tool changing the modified date, then the OneDrive agent has to compare every file with its online record, so it's going to take as long as your local environment and connection speed require.

As comparison I had to do the same thing with Dropbox last week after a local HDD failure required re-syncing 2TB of files, which took several days to complete. The processing time is going to be dependent on both #files and #bytes - the handshake for each file is about the same irrespective of size.

My recommendation in this situation is to minimize the number of files that are kept locally, particularly when you have many thousands of small files in some folders. Moving infrequently used collections of small files into zip archives also helps.

At present, the time of file handshake has almost exceeded the time I used to synchronize 3TB data. If this continues, I might as well delete all the files in onedrive and synchronize them again.

@Mike Williams