Visio files saved in OneDrive cause UPLOAD BLOCKED error

Brass Contributor

I have two Dell computers – a laptop at work and a micro form factor device at home.

I’m using OneDrive with O365 so that I can work in either location without lugging  a laptop around.

I create a brand new, blank Visio file on the laptop at work, insert some content, then Save As with a new file name on the OneDrive.

I make sure the blue cloud in the system tray says all files are synchronised, shut down and head home.

I open the recently created Visio file on the home MFF PC.

I get an error immediately saying “UPLOAD BLOCKED We ran into a problem with this file and can’t save any new changes. Please save a copy to avoid using your work”.

Always happens with Visio – it has happened with Word and Excel but not every time like with Visio.

The same happens in reverse, i.e., a new file created on the home MFF PC and opened later in the office.

Both PCs are running up to date windows and the Visio apps are same version on both PCs.

I created a new file in the browser-based version of Visio – same error on both home and work PCs.

I have reverted to using just the laptop, storing files on the local SSD, backing up every day.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you.

38 Replies
I did. Last week we uninstalled and reinstalled Visio Pro on both PCs, problem didn't go away.
Diagnostic log files were gathered on both PCs, and the case was escalated internally within MS.
We have a call scheduled this Wednesday.
I'll update again after that.
Thanks for that info! I look forward to the potential resolution

Update 5 March   @ParryFen  

Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant SaRA was installed on my laptop to record the series of events that occur when a Visio file is created, saved in OD and then opened on another computer.

The errors were seen during the recording time, so will have been captured in the SaRA file.  The data is being analysed by MS now.

I just found out that when I use CTRL+S to save the file, it does save changes. Although at the bottom of my screen it keeps displaying "uploading to OneDrive".
Thanks for the update

I have been struggling with this as well. Here is what worked for me:

File>Options>Trust Center>Visio Trust Center>File Block Settings

Make sure Save is unchecked for the File Type Visio 2003-2010 Binary Drawings, Templates and Stencils.

It worked for me, hope that helps!

J

Thanks for sharing @Jmathes 

I looked at my settings inside the Visio desktop app, the Save box you mentioned is not checked, is this where you made changes?

I uninstalled office for enterprise and Visio 2016 32 bit and reinstalled office for enterprise and Visio 2019 64 bit and that has resolved the issue for me. Good luck!

Hi @Chuck Alexander 

I did the same, on both PCs, all apps were 32 bit, now all 64 bit, problem persists, 

What a mess ...

@Penrynian Yes, that's the box. Mine was checked and I hit restore defaults which unchecked the box and fixed the issue.

I hoped it would work for everyone.

@Jmathes  thanks for confirming. 

I have another call during the coming week with MS , I hope we'll make progress as I'm a month into this and still unable to use OneDrive. 

@Penrynian I was having the same issue.  In Visio, I went to File -> accounts and "Sign out" of the account linked to the oneDrive that had the syncing problem.  Then I get a button to "Connect" the account.  After clicking that and logging back in, the problem went away.

@sunderwind 

This did not work for me. 

@sunderwind @Wouter_de_Wit
Thanks for your input, it didn't work for me either

i've tried a few settings including trusted locations and IE trusted sites. 

nothing seems to work. 

During a few hours on Teams with a MS escalation engineer, we completely removed all traces of Office products using a script known as OffScrub. When both my machines were completely denuded of Office products, we reinstalled all of them from scratch, in 64-bit flavour.
After all of this, the problem with upload errors persisted, and when I shared a Visio file to the MS eng's email he saw the same error when he opened it on his machine.
Problem reproduced, witnessed, and fully documented.
After a few days, I heard that when the next O365 build is issued, within the first 1-2 weeks of April, this should be fixed.
Open any O365 app, click File/Account and look for "About Word/Excel/...."
Current build version is 2102.
Upcoming build 2103 has the fix.
confirmed that this is resolved now
This is great news to hear Penrynian!

@gd-29    You're right, it seems to be working properly now, and I'm still on build 1202.