Project Management - Best Practices and tradeoffs

Copper Contributor

I am wrestling with some tradeoffs re: teams and projects. making choices has lasting effects, and it is not easy to decide and understand in all consequences. I guess I need some advice; and hope with this discussion to be able to help others with similar setup issues.

What we have:
Company with small teams per project, many times the same people,. Company is involved in many projects. With, most times, the same people. But each project has a high degree of confidentiality, we need (legal obligation) to prevent access to team members who are not working on a specific project.
The key issues:
- matching these confidentiality requirements between many projects ; and teams with varying but overlapping composition ;
- Reducing overhead for mobile users i.e. keeping number of synced shares low
- Reducing clutter, i.e. keeping the amount of groups and teams low
- Keeping administrative overhead low, i.e. not having to manage detailed file permissions each and every time.

Ideal would be: use just a few teams (with overlapping users), add channels for each project , add the project folder into that channel. And manage access to channels and files, based on actual team composition.
Problem:  with this setup, each team member can access all other channels and the folder with files added to that channel, which we don't want.  I don't see how and if permissions can be managed on that granular level.
The other scenario:  a team and share for evey project, is also not very attractive. That would require everyone to sync many (20+) shares and having to switch between all those teams in the team app.  Many desktop shares is not a very good idea either I guess, given the experience with groove and even with the new O4B sync client. :\
Who can give me some guidance? Is there a solution at all for this?
Tx!

1 Reply

I am assuming you want to use MS Teams, if this is the case, you cannot  currently assign permissions to different channels (this is coming but we don't know when) this means that you have to use the Team as your security boundary.

I would create a Team for each Project, this will give you a SharePoint site for the files and and Azure AD group to contain the people. Each user will be able to sync the Document Library to their local computer for offline work on a project by project basis, The OneDrive Sync client will expose those files in Windows explorer.