SOLVED

Exo, Information Barriers.

Brass Contributor

Hey Team, 

I am trying to understand Information Barriers better and as such i have setup some Segments, IB policies etc. One thing i am trying to understand is this line here: 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/compliance/information-barriers?view=o365-worldwide#...

IB policies aren't available to restrict communication and collaboration between groups and users in email messages. 

When checking after an IB is applied, i see that the newly created ABP policies are applied to the users account, but what I don't see is a new Default GAL - so for example, a user who is part of an IB Policy is still able to see the default GAL? << Is that to be expected? 

I understand that if i want to restrict users in a IB policies i would need to create Transport rules, but i am just not sure on why a new default GAL isn't assigned to the user accounts under the IB policy? 

Thanks, 

Robert 

3 Replies
It's sort of a workaround. IBs currently leverage ABPs, as Microsoft chose not to start from scratch on this functionality. But they're not intended to be used as their replacement and thus don't offer the same functionality as ABPs. Going forward, the two functionalities will be "decoupled" and things should be less confusing.
ok so just so I am clear. Its expected that a new Default GAL or OAB is not generated by IBs? and Transport rules are still the correct way to create an ethical wall even when using IBs? I don't mean to be a stickler but I just want to make sure I understand.

Thanks,

Robert
best response confirmed by Robert Bollinger (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Use transport rules.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Robert Bollinger (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Use transport rules.

View solution in original post