Will we get control over webcam settings within TEAMS?

Copper Contributor

I did check first and I can only find a similar post from 2018, which is quite a while ago and obviously the world has gone down a very different route since then, with "working at home" for most people, and TEAMS is now a much more important to keeping in contact.

As a photographer and videographer, I have the knowledge on how to use a professional camera as a webcam, and set up external lighting, to get very good quality and correctly lit video on a call.

But that isn't always possible on a work PC as it might require installing software, it's just time consuming to set it all up and get it going, OR regular Joe doesn't have that knowledge or expensive equipment.

This is where a webcam comes in. 

In my case using a Logitech streamcam, which isn't bad. It's more convenient and plug and play, in most cases. But if using a webcam on a work device, you may still need to install software to edit settings.

Which is where you would hope that TEAMS might offer a solution, but it doesn't!

Will we ever get webcam settings, within TEAMS, to adjust the image quality and lighting?

It seems like it wouldn't be that complicated to add in for software which is primarily intended to be used with video broadcasts and webcam calls. It's a fundamental feature. Especially if you want your footage to look professional for clients or just during a team catch up.

10 Replies
There is nothing in the M365 roadmap to suggest this is coming. Best thing you can do for now is make sure your webcam software and drivers etc are bang up to date to get the most out of your Teams video experience.

This is a major omission. It really, really annoys me that there is no camera control in Teams. Not only that, but when you do open a control app such as Logitech Hub or Logitech Capture to configure it, Teams then resets it all again!
Zoom has much more control within the app, and things it doesn't control it doesn't reset them. Also Zoom has a really excellent chroma key setting to make your meetings look really professional. The Teams background is just rubbish by comparison with your head disappearing half the time.
One workaround is to use Skype for Business to adjust the settings before you start Teams and it somehow remembers them for the rest of the day. Most companies uninstall SfB though once they switched to Teams.
Another workaround would be to install the $1 app called "Webcam System Settings" which does the same thing and you can use it while Teams is running to adjust the settings.

But really, come on MS Teams devs - step up to at least look like you give a **bleep** about customer experience!

Same here. Super frustrated. Logitech StreamCam. Low resolution in teams, and no backlight compensation. Yet Zoom offers this without an issue. Come on microsoft! How can you be implementing virtual backgrounds but not bother fixing image settings and brightness in the first place???
There must be a reason why this isn't made possible, or why it is not possible or why never reactions from the developpers from Microsoft Teams follow on all these requests. Are it that servers of MS are too slow? Not enough bandwith? Try to explain it to your paying users. My Logitech cam is really HD (and can be watched that way in Windows Camera), but in Teams it is barely SD (a resolution of 480, propably) and no way to make it HD. No, Logitech driver settings are bad as well and offer no way out). I get headaches listening all day to low quality with all that working from home. Offer HD. We have glassfiber internet these days!

@ChrisMHowarth  @cawauk @ralphssg @SimonNeilScott It is fixed!

Today i got fed up again and decided to check if i could stop teams from resetting my Logitech G Hub settings. When going into settings > devices > camera, there is now a checkbox that (de)activates "Automatically adjust camera controls". 

After unchecking that box, teams no longer resets my cam settings. Feels like a huge victory :)

Teams version i use: Microsoft Teams Version 1.4.00.29469 (64-bit)

@FiBERNL Logitech G Hub, you say? So that's the software from the Logitech G line? I don't have that one. Probably won't work with the Logitech C310 Webcam. As for this device, Logitech only offers support/software with their simple driver/control package, which doesn't help much within Teams. Last updated a year ago (which is questionable for a webcam they're still selling). https://support.logi.com/hc/nl/articles/360024702514--Downloads-HD-Webcam-C310

No fix for me, I conclude. Logitech and Microsoft haven't done much to address this.

As a bit of an update to this, it appears we might have gained more control under settings > devices > untick automatically adjust camera controls > open camera settings. Which is promising and it does appear to work, although it's a bit clumsy and hidden away.

For those commenting on what webcams are being used; I've personally moved onto using an Elgato Facecam, which while not cheap, is very impressive and I would highly recommend it. It can handle, even in automatic, bright and low light amazingly (although always control your light yourself if you can in the room). If you're able to install the software on a work device, it gives you immense control.

And when you change the webcam settings, it will save to the camera, meaning it kind of removes the need to control it in TEAMS.

@SimonNeilScott I was very happy to find just what you are talking about here. However, I now notice that whatever I set the camera to disappears when I actually use the camera in Teams. For example, I increase the zoom in the settings and all looks good in the preview. Then I use teams and it is as if I hadn't zoomed at all. I found this thread when searching for a solution to this issue. Anyone have thoughts?

@rmartin 

For clarity, as I posted his ages ago and can't quite recall the conversation, are you referring to using the Elgator Facecam software?

If so, keep in mind, if you have the camera expanded, to view the Output in the Facecam software, it will not allow you to view the same output in TEAMs or any other application. You need to first close the window, in the Facecam software, showing you the output, to allow TEAMS to take control of the camera feed.

Is this what you meant?

@SimonNeilScott   I'm also surprised at how crude Microsoft Teams is in the way of any webcam enhancements.  I just had to use it for a job interview and was cringing at how bad I looked (no way to adjust lighting whatsoever), which I've never experienced with Zoom or Google Meet.  Luckily most organizations and groups I'm running into aren't using Microsoft Teams very often.  I have a Windows pc, and I'm disappointed at how little Microsoft has done to improve the app.