SOLVED

Why Teams is slowing down my Mac?

Brass Contributor

It's been a while since I've been having issues with my MacBook Pro 16" performance while using teams for example in a call or in a live event, and I can't even think of having the app open while editing a video or editing some graphics in Illustrator or Photoshop...

Microsoft Teams "Helper" is using over 1 GB of RAM while just open + 200 mb the app itself, while in a call gets crazy... 

Has anyone having this issue??

My Mac's system overview is:

- MacPro 16" 2019

- 2.6 GHz 6-Core i7

- 16 gb RAM

- AMD Radeon Pro 5300 4GB

- Intel UHD 630 

- 520 SSD

Help please!!!

33 Replies

@CharlieArellano I have a much more modest macbook 2017 i7 1,4 Ghz with 16 Gb RAM and have the same issue, it takes forever to open any office allocation and also the systems mac apps like activity monitor are slowed down. it happens mostly when teams is active on a videoconference . it is worse if i connect also a rather small external monitor (22" FHD).

i hope somebody could help

thank you

Spoiler
**bleep**, I guess we just need to wait, what I did the other day was to uncheck the box that said "Use graphic acceleration when available" and that made Teams even slooooower hahaha, well, let's just wait to see if someone has some answers for us, mate.

I am having the same problem and it is very exasperating...

I have tried everything: I've cleaned my computer, delete all cache files, uncheck the box that said "Use graphic acceleration when available", disable the read confirmations, reset the SMC of the Mac, everything!

I run the Activity Monitor when having a conference call, and it gets mad. I cannot use any other application, even Teams can't work fluently... even more, my computer keeps working suuuuper slow after quitting Teams.

Although I have an "old" Mac (MacBook Pro 15" 2016, 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3), I have been working in 3D Modelling and Rendering applications, like Rhinoceros, Cinema4D or Photoshop, After Effects, etc... And never I had these problems... Please Help anyone!

I am also a MacBook Pro user and have serious speed issues that seem to be aggravated by Teams. I'm required to have Teams and MSWord up at all times on my Mac. I am a heavy video, graphics and photoshop app user, Microsoft please help, it would be nice if MS and Apple played nicer together.   @t-canellas_27 

Same problem here!! on my MBP "15 mid 2015...

Hot temperature and high cpu utilization.

Sometimes Teams freezes.

GPU acceleration disabled, but still working slow.

For what it's worth, Teams (especially video calls) destroys performance on my newer MacBook Pro but seems to work fine on my older MacBook Pro. Could this possibly be about an extra .3 GHz in processor speed?! (other newer mac specs exceed older mac specs)

NEWER MAC (2018) - Horrible w/ TeamsOLDER MAC (2015) - Works fine w/ Teams
Model Name: MacBook ProModel Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,4
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i7Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHzProcessor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KBL2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 9 MBL3 Cache: 6 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: EnabledHyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GBMemory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 1037.120.87.0.0Boot ROM Version: 198.0.0.0.0
Not listed in system reportSMC Version (system): 2.29f24

@davep2020 

This is my mac:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

It has dedicated graphics card (AMD Radeon R9 M370X), but, when I use it, the performance was horrible and the power consumption and temperature increases a lot!

Then, I decide to disable the gpu acceleration and gets a better performance, but still not the best!.

@spazCR Any updates on this? We rolled Teams out and the Mac users are pretty hampered by this resource issue. We are trying to do away with Zoom but with the Teams app killing resources during calls, it's not helpful for adoption.

@blk55 Nah, no updates on this, apparently they don't care hahaha, sadly, I need to take my calls and video calls on my iPad or iPhone to avoid having these issues, this is just unbelievable and disappointing, now we need to wait to see if the new Macs with Silicon have better performance on this and other issues that definitely kill the good performance Macs used to have hahaha

Wow, this is crazy, mine is 2.6 ghz i7 6 cores and it's the worst ever :tired_face:

For better performance, I'm using teams on my iPhone or iPad to ensure the Mac keeps working for whole day long, this is just a harsh we might need to live with.

@CharlieArellano 

I am having this same issue with my 2020 MacBook Pro. However, it ONLY happens when connected to an external monitor. So weird....

@ggfox Thanks for sharing your experience, and it's exactly the same thing, actually, when I use the MB Pro without any accessories, works 110%, let me tell you that I have also tried something different, and this is moving the charging port from the left to the right and the dock also (keeping another HDMI connected to the left), and it has drastically changed performance, I'm now able to edit on Final Cut and take a Teams call, without disconnecting the external monitors, check this out and let us know if it works at least a bit for you 8)

Hope it helps!

I have the same issue. My mac is newer and it flies. I use graphics programs all day long with no problem. However, on a Teams call I can't do anything. I've disabled incoming and outgoing video and it makes very minimal difference. I've used tools to clean everything up for optimal performance and it's still not good. This makes it nearly impossible for me to present to my team on teams. Any suggestions on how to fix this are greatly appreciated. 

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

2 of my colleagues mine experienced warped MAC batteries (and cases) as a result of their machines overheating - caused by Teams. Indication is fan staying on for a long time (all day?) which cant be healthy.  Im told the solution they found (probably through online search) was to change the setting in Teams to disable GPU hardware acceleration. Worked for me! @KHartman 

Thanks @ChrisAnders1969. I went ahead and changed my settings. Fingers crossed this helps!

@ChrisAnders1969

Thanks for your input. This has been bugging me for ages. In my case I unchecked the box for "disable GPU hardware acceleration" and it transformed TEAMS immediately. Lag completely gone. Temperatures back to normal. CPU usage down from 100%+ to <5%!!!!! 

One thing to mention is that I use an external monitor.

Thanks

@sl8ed I use two external monitors! But the last two months everything has gone good, I have moved my hub and the power cord to the right and it has been a massive change in the performance, plus, have disabled CPU on Teams.

Hope this helps, sl8ed!

@CharlieArellano   Are you using a Bluetooth headset of some sort? 

I use a Plantronics Headset for my RingCentral softphone.  When I use the Plantronics dongle and run the Plantronics hub teams CPU usage spikes, restarts, lags, etc.  When I unplug the dongle from my computer, teams runs perfectly.

Hmmmm, that's crazy, tho, I usually use my AirPods and my Magic Mouse, I haven't found any changes when disconnecting the Bluetooth devices, but it totally has changes when my USB Hub is connected in the right ports of the MBP.

I've disabled GPU acceleration like @ChrisAnders1969 said in a previous message and I totally has changed the performance of the MBP!!!!!! Thanks for that, Chris 8)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

2 of my colleagues mine experienced warped MAC batteries (and cases) as a result of their machines overheating - caused by Teams. Indication is fan staying on for a long time (all day?) which cant be healthy.  Im told the solution they found (probably through online search) was to change the setting in Teams to disable GPU hardware acceleration. Worked for me! @KHartman 

View solution in original post