Unable to join a meeting that I have organised in Teams. Stuck at "When the meeting starts...."

Copper Contributor

So I did find a previous thread where people had similar issues here

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams/when-the-meeting-starts-we-ll-let-people-know...

@ChristianJBergstrom actually had the best responses as it suggested a permissions confusion in the background.

The issue for me is that I am signed in to Outlook to a microsoft account from my clients organisation as well as to a microsoft account of my own.  I am a consultant and this is common.   I had tried to create a meeting in outlook using my own account and added a teams link to it.   Everything looks great when I send it.  On the desktop Teams app, the meeting is not visible when I am signed in to my clients microsoft account and it is visible in mine.  Awesome!  When I go to join the meeting I can't join the meeting and get the supper annoying "When the meeting starts, we'll let people know you're waiting".  

So I go to the meeting in the teams app calendar, choose edit, go to meeting options and this is where the permissions bug(?)/UI issue becomes apparent.  In the meeting, my identity is shown as the organiser.  But when I go to try to change the meeting options, I am told that I am not the organiser and it shows me my email address (not my clients email).  

The reason this is happening is that unbeknownst to me (there is no indication given when I try to change the meeting options) my browser thinks I am logged in to my clients account.

Soooooo,  the solution to making sure this problem does not happen is as follows.  If you are signing in to different microsoft accounts regularly on the same machine, do the following.  When doing a meeting invite, log in to the web interface for teams and send the meeting invite from there.  I think Christian did suggest this in his response as well.   No chance of identity confusion.  It will then turn up in your teams app and when you go to edit meeting options, you won't have issues.  And you will be able to join your own meetings.  Huzzah!

You can test this work flow. 

It sucks because there is almost certainly some poor credential handling going on but it can be shoe horned to work.  Hope this helps someone :) 

cheers

Peter

2 Replies
You need to be joined to the tenant under which you created the meeting before you attempt to join. Otherwise you are a guest from the tenant that you are currently logged into

@Ed Woodrick , yup, you made a factual statement. 

The problem for most mortals is that the user interface is fundamentally misleading.   Teams for desktop makes you signout to use a different account, a different user experience than what you get from mobile (on Android) where you can swap between 2 accounts.  Outlook allows you to have more than one account signed in.  When you go to create an email, MS have worked out how to send the email correctly under the account chosen within Outlook.

For a user it all falls apart because of poor identity handling by the software when a meeting invite is sent from Outlook.  Here the email is correctly sent from the account chosen in Outlook and when you go to teams, the organiser of the meeting appears to line up with the email sender BUT in the guts of the meeting setup which is not visible to the user, the tenant (to use the term used in MS docos) has been misassigned. 

Even more infuriating, when you go to try and edit the meeting, you don't get told who actually organised the meeting.  And clearer evidence of this being a bug and not a user issue is that there is no way to use the other microsoft account to get to the meeting to edit it because it was sent from the first microsoft account. It is not visible in the calendar of the MS account that is probably the actual tenant from the perspective of the meeting.

So while the statement you made is true, the software has bugs and is not playing nicely with 2 accounts being live in outlook (I think).  

Problem is that I don't think MS might even be aware of the problem because a quick skim of threads makes it seem like a dumb user problem because the "meeting needs to be joined under the tenant which created the meeting" or words to that effect.  True, but misses the point that the identity in the setup of the meetings has been messed up terminally for the user.

Anyways just putting this down in the off chance that a MS person might see a  bit of detail and escalate it at some stage.

peace

Peter