Teams contacts all showing status unknown

Copper Contributor

Hi, 

I have had an issue with Teams that I can't seem to resolve. When I run the teams desktop application I cannot see the status of any of my contacts but yet if I use the web version I can see them okay.

this might have happened because I have 2 teams logons for different clients and after signing out of one and back into the other the status of people disappeared. 

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing teams several times - Any ideas how to rectify this problem. - the screenshot shows web version and desktop version side-by side (names removed)

thanks.

22 Replies

@AWstuff Hi, does it make any difference if you go to %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams and delete all content in that folder?

@ChristianBergstrom, thanks for getting back to me. I have just uninstalled Teams for the 3rd time then after uninstalling I took the risk of deleting every directory called 'teams' and all the sub directories. After a re-boot I re-installed teams and got the same result - status 'unknown' in the desktop app but can see status in the online version. 

I have a suspicion this is somehow linked to Microsoft edge, the only reason I think that is because I had to delete all the 'cookies' and 'browsing data' to get Teams to work there after the alternative login.

@AWstuff Hello, we also face the same issue. Did you solve the problem or at least found a workaround? Thanks!

Hi @loredana leaha,

Not solved the issue yet but Teams online works so I am currently using that. I will post an update if I do solve it. good luck.

@AWstuff 

Hi, I started having this issue also last week. Same as described - client does not work on Win10, but ok using the Teams browser and terminal services. Deleting the Teams folders in app data also does not fix this. I am looking to see if an update I installed around the same time for Win 10 is contributing (October 13, 2020—KB4579311 (OS Build 19041.572)??

Hi, 

I am sorry but this isn't going to help anyone, but I said I would update if anything changed- This weekend I was going to change the hard drive on the laptop in question and install windows Pro however after taking off the back and pulling the hard drive out something came up and I reassembled the system as it was. 

The weirdest thing has happened now though - teams is working as it should be and I can see all my contacts as they should be seen and others can see my availability.

@AWstuff hi, for us the problem was solved as the user stated, he made a reset for his machine and somehow the problem disappeared. I am wondering what it really was. :)

@loredana leaha 

Hi All, without my consciously fixing this, my Teams problem "fixed" itself on Saturday morning.

3 things I know have happened:

1. I changed a setting in Teams to see if this would help (Register Teams as the chat app for Office).
  2. My machine has received windows updates.
  3. My machine has received office updates.

Which one of these (if any) has fixed this, ??????

Paul.

@PCWilliams I am guessing you might have fixed it by now. But my fix was as easy has uncheck the "Register Teams for as the chat...", magic and then all statuses were back. I checked it again afterwards to see if anything changes again, and it didn't. Not sure if this will help everyone, but fixed it for me. 

@Marte_Kristoffersen 

Hi yes its fixed for me now :) Not sure if you saw my last post, I had 3 changes applied at the same time including what you have mentioned. After all working:

3 things I know have happened:

1. I changed a setting in Teams to see if this would help (Register Teams as the chat app for Office).
  2. My machine has received windows updates.
  3. My machine has received office updates.

@PCWilliams This fixed it for me:

@PCWilliams  what setting did you change and how exactly did you change the setting I have the same issue but can't find the setting your talking about ?

@AWstuff 

we discovered that the contacts in Teams that were displaying status "unkown" were all contacts imported from (the no longer available) Skype, if you delete the contacts and add them back the status will display properly.

@Craig_Dobbin what do you mean by delete the contacts?  From where?  

We found that if you remove the contact...then re-add the contact...statuses are restored. Not sure why...but it worked for us. @AWstuff 

@MekaDawn from within Teams, click the down arrow by chat and you will see the contacts option.

Craig_Dobbin_0-1628875820223.png

@Craig_Dobbin We discovered that this is because the members under My Group were imported from Skype for Business to Teams.  For example if you add one of those users not showing a presence to your Favorites group they will display properly.  We are now testing to see if removing the Skype for Business app will resolve this.  

@AWstuff I recently had this issue too and found a fix. My system clock was off for some reason, I corrected it and restarted teams, the second I did teams started showing statuses properly again.