Teams client does not load all files and folders in channel library

Copper Contributor

In one of our Teams channels, the Files tab does not show the entire contents of the channel's folder in the team's documents library. Older folders do not show up. The folders are present in SharePoint online and also accessible through Files On-Demand, just not in the Teams desktop client.

The 'missing' folders and files are also not returned as results through the Search bar.  EDIT: Correction, files do appear (though apparently not folders - perhaps by design) through the Search bar.

This may be related to the fact that there are many items in this document library. There are 2000+ items in its root, but of those only the most recent 325 folders are shown in the window (none older than around 8 months), and no files.

Impact: Having only around 13% of the channel's files/folders available in the client severely limits the usefulness of the client as a one-stop shop for all the team's files. While older folders will be accessed less frequently, they should not be omitted from search results, which compounds the issue.

3 Replies

Hi @ASpinner ,

The way that the SharePoint site integration works for Teams is that for each channel in Teams there is a corresponding folder of the same name in the default Documents library of the corresponding SharePoint Site. Anything else does not show up in the File tab. 

How I set this up is leave the Files in the Channel folders to themselves and create formal document management outside of the default  "Documents" library by creating further document libraries and adding those as tabs to the channels. Not ideal but seeing as all sorts of rubbish could get added to the default channel folders (images, uploaded files etc) it keeps it nice and neat. 

Andy

@Andrew Hodges 

Hello Andy,

Thanks for your reply.

If I understand correctly, the Teams channel gets its own folder with path TeamName - ChannelName / Documents, and this is the folder whose contents appears in the Files tab. This is the folder to which we've added subfolders and files - but only some of them show up. It appears that only the most recent ones appear.

(Your suggestion of creating additional document libraries and adding them as tabs is a good thought that I may use elsewhere, although I don't think it addresses this precise issue.)

When they roll out the New files experience to you this issue should go away since it will use the SharePoint rendering method. Currently teams files tab has a limit to some degree as you’ve seen. So when this rolls out which is supposed to be by end of month but might be a few last minute bugs so anytime in near future this problem should correct itself for you.