SOLVED

Teams badge won't go away

Copper Contributor

I have been having this issue for the past few days. Despite all the messages being read, the badge of Teams won't disappear. Does anyone know how to fix this? 

16 Replies
Hello, usually the following will resolve it: From the Activity feed, select Filter and More options ... to show certain types of messages such as unread messages, @mentions, replies, and likes. Go through all the alternatives. If that doesn't do it try a manual sign out from the top right corner.

@ChristianJBergstrom Thank you for the reply. I don't think there are any unread messages. I also tried signing in and out for several days in the past week, which doesn't seem to do the trick. Is there anything else that you can think of for me to try? 

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Did you use the filter view? Select the filter for Unread, @mentions, Replies, Reactions, Missed call, Voicemail, Apps. Walk them trough. Could be that you've been @mentioned and then that person had a change of mind and removed the post and things are being cached. You can always verify using Teams on the web too. As for the desktop app you can "reset" it by removing all content in %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams (copy and paste to Start).

@ChristianJBergstrom The folder path you've linked to is empty on my set-up? The '1' notification just won't go away :cry:

@Zhiii @slipd

This is what worked for me to remove the number from the Teams icon in the Taskbar.

1. Go to Windows Settings > Personalisation > Taskbar.  Under Taskbar items, set Chat to On.

2. Click the Chat icon on the Taskbar.

3. If the ... (What's new and more) button at the top right of the Chat window is showing a red (or some other colour) dot, then this is the issue.  Click the ... button and select What's new from the popup menu.  The badge number on the Teams icon should now have disappeared.

So, it seems that Teams displays a badge number on the Teams icon in the Taskbar when there is a notification of something new in the What's new section.  However, I could not find any way to see this notification or display the What's new menu from within the Teams app itself.  It seems to only be accessible via the Chat app.  Go figure!

@Graymatter thanks! Will try your instructions tomorrow. I've actually removed the Teams shortcut from the Task bar for the time being - it was distracting me :face_with_tears_of_joy:

I'll let you know how it goes... 

Your Sir, are a genius... thank you so much, sorted! Nice one.

@Graymatter Thanks! 

Your solution fixed same issue with my teams. 

@rahul_patil2009 one thing I have noticed, is that the notification will re-appear when there's been a system/Chat update etc. Easily sorted though, now that I know what to do... you guys really don't know how much it was driving me mad :xd:

THANKS!!!!!!!!
Thank you, @Graymatter! This is utterly ridiculous, Microsoft. It's even more silly that I had to sign over all my personal info just to leave this reply.
Thank YOU!!!
This is the only thing that helped!
Brilliant! I have battled a persistent "1" badge on my taskbar icon for at least 6 months. Your steps cleared it. I have fed the OCD dragon, and it is back in its cave again!

And thanks, Microsoft, for conflating "What's New" notifications with actual chat messages. That was SO intuitive.
Thank you, this solved my issue.

@Graymatter I did not find any Chat option.

For anyone continuing to have this problem 3 years later, the Chat option is gone from Windows now in favor of the new Teams app. You can find the What's New window to clear the notification by opening the Mini Teams window with the button on the top right near your profile. From within the mini window you can click the 3 dots on the upper left and go to What's New. Maybe sometime in the next 20 years Microsoft will find the time to save their customers countless hours of fiddling to fix something that shouldn't be broken anymore in the first place...
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Did you use the filter view? Select the filter for Unread, @mentions, Replies, Reactions, Missed call, Voicemail, Apps. Walk them trough. Could be that you've been @mentioned and then that person had a change of mind and removed the post and things are being cached. You can always verify using Teams on the web too. As for the desktop app you can "reset" it by removing all content in %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams (copy and paste to Start).

View solution in original post