Team group chat naming issues

Copper Contributor

I used a group name in chat to keep the discussion on a topic together. I had created a chat with a group name, and two other participants. This topic finished a couple of months ago. I tried to create a general conversation with the same two participants, it automatically adds to the bottom of the previous group chat, even though it is a different topic? Do I now need to use group names on every discussion with those two participants to avoid it appending it to an old topic? Should chat not be used for this purpose? Thanks

2 Replies

@heimdaloz I personally wouldn't be using chat to collaborate on different discussions. That's more just for informal check ins such as... are you free for a chat, have you read the email I sent etc.

If you are working with these two members across multiple topics, I'd suggest creating a 'Team' for you three, and a separate 'Channel' for each topic. That way you can have focused discussions in the relevant channel and a clear history of what has been discussed per topic. That also means when you're sharing documents to each other they don't get muddled up. 

@naddalot 

I work as a BA across multiple agile software teams where teams are formed for a project, then disbanded at the end, then different teams are formed, disbanded. This means a team could be formed, and then I would work in another group and then a another project may result in my forming with the same members on a completely different topic. This means I would have to set up a channel for each possible combination of team and then created new topic for each result and a large number of channels with a large number topics. I thinking adding group name to chat is far more efficient or finding a better tool for collaboration.  The nature of my job means I would be creating 10 - 15 new topics a day, across a variety of teams made up of 2-3 people from a pool of 50 people. This could involving working on multiple topics with the same people concurrently. Some topics only have one or two messages.