Poor video quality with ample bandwidth

Copper Contributor

Hello all!

I'm trying to use Teams for internal team video call meetings (located in the same building, different offices, same network & internet connection). We've tried with 5 users and the video quality is poor - not high definition at all, very blurry and/or blocky.

We have a Fibre To The Premises internet connection, with >200Mb download and >50Mb upload - which I'd have thought would be more than ample for decent quality video call between 5 users...?

When the call initiates, Teams says the network or internet, can't remember which, is poor - but I don't see how it can be on those speeds.

Can anyone offer any advice or pointers as to why were getting such poor video quality - it's very off putting and doesn't make you want to use Teams....

15 Replies

FYI, just downloaded zoom, and tested with 3 users and video quality is perfect, as you'd expect - so this doesn't seem to be a bandwidth issue, but a specific issue with Teams ?

Do Microsoft support monitor this community/forum?

Might be some blocked ports MS Teams I using?
Check the logs In the links I provided!

Can you try connect outside or from mobile if you have decent mobile connection?

Hi @adam deltinger thanks for the response.

I've seen those articles, but don't think they help me any. Bandwidth is fine, we're only using with 4 users so I'm sure we're not hitting the (6000?) port NAT pool size limit, all ports are allowed out etc - and video works, just the quality is poor.

Zoom video conferencing works fine, so why won't Teams? It's that basic there doesn't seem to be any settings to tweak, it should just work...? Have the same problem whether using teams desktop app or web client.

Do you know if Microsoft support monitor this forum?

@adam deltinger 

Which logs are you referring to specifically? I've run the Skype for Business Network Assessment tool mentioned in one of your links, and all tests complete successfully - all ports open.

Is there some other test/log I should be running/looking at?

Thanks.

Call analytics and Vad for example! You can dig into the calls from here and see what it says about the quality

I would still try to make some video call on other network just to rule out any kind of local network issues regarding Teams!
Also check to video drivers if they are on the same type of computer! I had Teams video looking awful but everything else was looking fine! Got that fixed with a driver update
This is not any official Microsoft support forum, no! They do swing by now and then but I’d suggest creating a ticket instead and sort this out in that case

Same exact experience with teams. Gigabit download and 50mbps upload. Zoom = perfect, Teams = not useable. 

It isn't as simple as bandwidth. You have to consider other factors too like packet loss and jitter. Lookup one of he users in Teams who had an issue and look at their call history. Then dive into the call details. It will give you a detailed report of what the issue is.  User call history is much better than the dashboard. 

I have exactly the same experience. 350mbps broadband and getting 70mbps + over WiFi... zoom = perfect, teams = terrible. Aargh

@CW1981  Sorry you are having problems. You should reach out to your Office 365 administrator. They can look at the logs and diagnose your issue. 

I am on Teams ever day without any problems. 

@UKITGuy Would like to see if you find solution. It seems like every platform except for MS Teams has video adjustment or filter options either built into app or optional manual control and general video quality of MS Teams is extremely poor -- regardless of my connection or device used (phone OR current surface!)-- I think MS needs to actually improve their app itself.  :(  (Teams is my LEAST desirable video app service. I ONLY use it when the invites I receive call for Teams or I avoid it because it is so poor whether I am looking at the other people or my stream to them.)

Sounds like Microsoft tried to get too smart with the AI which needs to be dialed back!

For anyone still seeing this, it's still an issue.

1. Turned off hardware acceleration on PC and Mac - no difference
  2. Reinstalled in PC and Mac - no difference
  3. Same issue with quality on PC and Mac still, but no problems with Zoom or Google Meets.
  4. Teams sucks.