PC headset audio breaks if headset unplugged in meeting

Copper Contributor

I'm having this awful issue where if I unplug my headset from the aux jack while in a meeting, my audio gets stuck coming out of my pc speakers regardless of if I plug my headset back in or if I even close teams. All audio from my machine starts to come out of the PC speakers until I restart my machine. This is absolutely aggregating, has anybody experienced this or found a fix? 

4 Replies
You didn't mention what type of connection that the headset has with the PC. Is it a USB or a round barrel connector?
When you plug the headset back in, do you go to devices and select the device?
Is the headset a Teams Certified headset?
If it is a old-style barrel headset, it cold be a function of your PC that needs to switch the audio.

Part of the features of Teams Certified Headsets is to keep this from happening.

@Ed Woodrick It's a barrel connector and no, it does not appear in the available devices. this seems to be some strange interaction between teams and the windows OS where the machine no longer recognizes headphones plugged into the audio jack if they were unplugged during a call. 

I believe that a lot of this functionality is built-in to the manufacturers audio drivers. If it doesn't appear to Teams, then Teams can't see it.

I would recommend USB headset instead of a barrel connector in general. It is often better audio quality. There are a number of USB headset formats, including the classic ear bud style. This is because most phones dropped the barrel connector and all require USB/Apple connections.
This is only an issue when using teams, this behavior has not manifested with any other product including zoom, webex, google meet etc. likely because they don't have any hooks into the os itself. These are pretty nice headphones and I'm not going to buy new ones simply because Microsoft can't get their act together.