SOLVED

Outlook "Share to Teams"?

Copper Contributor

Are many of you seeing this button in Outlook?  Did you have to do anything to enable it?

I see SHARE TO OUTLOOK from within Teams, but not the new functionality to share an email chain TO Teams...much more useful in our environment.  

We tend to get features rolled out to us fairly quickly, so I wanted to make sure that there was nothing we needed to do as an admin to turn the feature on?

Thanks!
Todd

55 Replies

@ddaanniieell Thanks for the fyi, seems to keep getting pushed back.

@ddaanniieell, that is strange cause the roadmap says it's launched already?

roadmap-57389.PNG

@ddaanniieell Thanks for that Daniel, but they really shouldn't use two different ID's!

This was added May 2019 and is the one people are "complaining" about.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=57389

The new was added a month ago.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=Outlook&searchterms=71265

But at least we know it's expected in December, meaning probably rolled out Q1 2021.

@ddaanniieell It is December now, any one has some update 

I had a support ticket opened and it 100% is not support or on the radar for Semi-Annual Channel. You sure you are on the monthly channel?

@Mattias SkogWhat confuses me is that I just searched how to share an email to a Teams Channel and the first hit that came up was this: https://www.jumpto365.com/blog/two-easy-ways-to-share-an-email-from-outlook-to-teams

This functionality doesn't seem to even be available (for me at least - or, any of you either...) but someone at this blog has had access to this functionality to the point of making a video and "how to" blog post.  This seems beyond weird that this isn't a baked-in cross functionality feature.

It makes me think that they haven't figured out the workflow to force insert Edge and insist that you say "No" for the hundredth time like a lady on a date with a handsy jerk.

@BigDShep  Are you sure you are using the Monthly channel for Microsoft 365 Apps? It isn't in the Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel.

@Boyd-_-cdmig001 Thank you for your quick response. 

Perhaps this is the core problem - I don't know what a Monthly Channel is.  Or, a Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel, for that matter.  My best guess is that you are referring to subscription type.  We do have a monthly subscription for MS Office 365 for our small firm. 

@BigDShep 
It's really just the way your Office products get feature updates (monthly or once or twice a year)
Here's a link to the overview of the differences:
Overview of update channels for Microsoft 365 Apps - Deploy Office | Microsoft Docs

Here's a link to how you check:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-update-channels#version-and-build-information

@Boyd-_-cdmig001 We are in the current channel and have been historically. We still do not have the functionality and sorely need it. 

FWIW, there is no way this is a standalone Office software limitation alone as I can't do this over the web from OWA either.
Hi, as mentioned above in my previous reply this isn’t rolled out yet https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=Outlook&searchterms=71265

@Boyd-_-cdmig001Thank you for sharing this information.  Today I Learned that I am in the current channel!

Waiting for this function too.  Looks like it will roll out in March 2021. An alternative is to send the email to the TEAM. 

@PJ Galvin Yea I'm looking forward to it as well! We are semi-annual channel though so we are still going to be waiting for a while I'd guess.  This March rollout is for Monthly channel only.

@ddaanniieell Still not there although it keeps getting promised and then pushed out. 

@Jonathan Blackwell Hello, the full Message center post.

Microsoft Teams: Share to Teams from Outlook
MC238648, Plan for change, Published date: Feb 9, 2021
New feature, User impact

We are updating the Share to Teams capability in Outlook for Windows, Outlook on the web, and Outlook for Mac preview. This feature is not yet available for Outlook mobile.

Key points

• Microsoft 365 Roadmap IDs 68909, 70598, and 71265
  • Timing: mid-March through late March 2021
  • Roll-out: User level
  • Control type: user control and admin control
  • Action: review and assess 

How will this affect your organization

Share to Teams from Outlook enables users to share an email conversation from Outlook, including attachments, to any chat or channel in any Teams client.  

When a user is sharing an email from the Outlook desktop client or Outlook on the web, Share to Teams in Outlook will either launch a window in the Teams desktop client if it is installed or open a window within Outlook. Within Teams, recipients will see a preview of the email message which they can open to view the full contents by clicking on the preview.

The Share to Teams experience that opens in a Teams desktop app window will be available for Outlook in the Monthly Channel in March.

• Share to Teams from Outlook creates a copy of the email and any attachments.  Copies are stored in the "Email Messages" sub-folder within SharePoint for channels. Copies are stored in the sender's OneDrive for chats.
  • Share to Teams does not support Individual Rights Managed (IRM) and Do Not Forward (DNF) emails.

What you need to do to prepare

Share to Teams leverages an Outlook add-in to drive; it will be installed the first time a user uses the Teams web or desktop client after this capability has rolled out.

You can manage Share to Teams by selectively enabling or disabling this add-in for individual users via PowerShell Cmdlet. Admin documentation will be published soon.

Note: Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 57389 incorrectly identified this capability as launched in March 2020.

@ChristianBergstrom - What's new in Microsoft 365 - apparently it is live according to this.

Can anyone in the current release confirm?

@Boyd-_-cdmig001 

I still cannot find it, and I am on the latest version as far as I can see.