SOLVED

Outgoing Calls Ringing on the Wrong Device

Copper Contributor

When somebody calls me in Teams, my computer's built-in speakers naturally ring to let me know I have an incoming call (as they should). When I'm on a phone call in Teams, the microphone and speaker on my headset are used transmit and receive audio (also as they should).

When I make a call to somebody using Teams, however, the ringtone that I hear comes out of my computer's built-in speakers instead of my headset. My coworkers should not have to listen to this while I'm waiting for somebody to pick up. How can this be fixed?

10 Replies

Hi,
when you receive or initiate a call, Teams is playing the signaling sound via the current selected device in your windows sound settings (not the one in Teams!).

Markus_95_0-1644303698842.png

As soon as the call is established, it will switch over to the audio device selected in the Teams client. In that case your headset. That means, that when you have selected your build in Speaker in Windows, the ringing sound of incoming and outgoing calls will ring via your build in speakers and everyone will hear it.
The native Teams Client also have the capability to add a secondary ringer device. This device will also ring, when you receive a call, but will not ring when you initiate a call!

For your scenario, I would suggest to do the following:
In Windows select the Headset as your device and in Teams add the build in speaker as the secondary device. Now outgoing calls will only ring on the headset and incoming calls will ring via the headset and via the build in speakers. I have just tested it by myself.
Greets,
Markus

@Markus_95 I guess that kind of does accomplish what I asked... I really hope that's not the best solution, though; that would mean that any other audible notifications I might get on my computer will go unnoticed unless I have my headset on.

Really though, this seems like something that Microsoft needs to work on and get fixed. Can you imagine the confusion that would have resulted in the 80's if the bell in your rotary phone ringed every time you tried to call somebody? It would have driven your family crazy! This is just not how phones work.

Hi,
as far as I can see, this is the only solution that is currently available to meet your requirements.
It is not possible to send the Chat notifications to a separate audio device.
Greets,
Markus
best response confirmed by JustALawnGnome7 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JustALawnGnome7 

hey,

just made what you asked.

i am on windows 11.

1) open: system>sound>volume mixer

2) expand the "apps" section

3) make an "outgoing" call from teams

4) the "Microsoft teams" app should appear there, expand it and change the default output device to your headset

check for incoming calls if you need to configure the second device so you will hear someone is calling you

@DorMarcovitch 

I'm on Windows 10

It is not possible to expand Microsoft Teams ☹

MilanS2000_0-1658222375128.png

@MilanS2000 I'm on Windows 10 as well, but you should still be able to make the changes mentioned by @DorMarcovitch by using "Sound mixer options" in the Settings app:

JustALawnGnome7_0-1658237244394.png

@JustALawnGnome7 yes, you are right, thanks for hint. I already set it up, but not via volume mixer as mentioned by  DorMarcovitch but in following way:

• Open Sound settings
  • Advanced sound option
    • App volume and device preferences

Great thanks, it DOES work !!!
Teams does not show up there for me.
I have Windows 11 and this worked perfectly for me! The path was slightly different, but the process worked like I needed it to. Thank you!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JustALawnGnome7 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JustALawnGnome7 

hey,

just made what you asked.

i am on windows 11.

1) open: system>sound>volume mixer

2) expand the "apps" section

3) make an "outgoing" call from teams

4) the "Microsoft teams" app should appear there, expand it and change the default output device to your headset

check for incoming calls if you need to configure the second device so you will hear someone is calling you

View solution in original post