SOLVED

MS Teams Phone Number Assignment and Usage Location

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

Can a MS Teams user be assigned with a phone number which belongs to another region e.g. different countries/continents?

I have available Europe phone numbers and North America users.

I suppose it is doable that I assign the Europe phone number to North America users.

I was able to assign the phone number to the user e.g. John Smith.   

John's teams application appears dial pad and phone number. 

However, while John tried to dial out the teams app. shows error message below. 

Any thoughts?

Can anyone shed some lights?  Your feedback is appreciated. 

EZethan_0-1704750945802.png

Best regards,

Ethan Z.

4 Replies
best response confirmed by EZethan (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
Yes, it is possible to assign numbers from a different country if you are using direct routing numbers. Operator Connect and Calling plans requires that the user have the same usage location as the number. I guess that you are using Direct Routing.

If you call a phone number including the country code, ex +14258676537 it should work. But since you are calling from a German number, it could be that international calls are blocked so try with a German number instead, ex. +496986799799.

It could also be a number normalization issue. If the usage location for your user is US and the phone number is German (+49) and the user calls a German number with out a country prefix, and you have not assigned a German Dial Plan. Then Teams will add the country prefix for USA (based on the Usage Location of the User). If your user calls Lufthansa in Germany (06986799799) then Teams will add +1 (for USA) and call +16986799799, and that is not correct.

In the Usage Reports in Teams Admin Center you should be able to see the call, if you find it there check the Final SIP code, it should give a hint of what was the issue.
Thanks for your feedback, Linus.
I use direct routing.

You are correct - Teams did add +1 in the following scenario.
"If your user calls Lufthansa in Germany (06986799799) then Teams will add +1 (for USA) and call +16986799799, and that is not correct.

How can I remove "1"? Any special dialing rules I can apply to the account?
Thanks again.

Then you have to create a new Dial Plan for Germany and assign that to your users.

Create and manage dial plans - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn

Use the following normalization rules

LinusCansby_0-1704879253711.png

Thanks Linux for your help... much appreciated.
FYI - I also found a workaround for the dialing. Just add prefix + then Teams won't add +1 to the calling number.

Cheers,
EZ
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by EZethan (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
Yes, it is possible to assign numbers from a different country if you are using direct routing numbers. Operator Connect and Calling plans requires that the user have the same usage location as the number. I guess that you are using Direct Routing.

If you call a phone number including the country code, ex +14258676537 it should work. But since you are calling from a German number, it could be that international calls are blocked so try with a German number instead, ex. +496986799799.

It could also be a number normalization issue. If the usage location for your user is US and the phone number is German (+49) and the user calls a German number with out a country prefix, and you have not assigned a German Dial Plan. Then Teams will add the country prefix for USA (based on the Usage Location of the User). If your user calls Lufthansa in Germany (06986799799) then Teams will add +1 (for USA) and call +16986799799, and that is not correct.

In the Usage Reports in Teams Admin Center you should be able to see the call, if you find it there check the Final SIP code, it should give a hint of what was the issue.

View solution in original post